Home Page & Email | || |
A Sense of Place
See also: Genius Loci, Spirit of Place
Related terms: rootedness, topophilia, community sentiment, local sentiment, place attachment. There are also entries on the construction of a sense of place in the Cultural Studies, Geography, Psychology, and Sociology sections, and possibly elsewhere as well. Try using the search engine, above.
- A Sense of Place
- A Sense of Place - BBC
- A Sense of Place - how does an artist create a sense of place?
- Alice Coles of Bayview - sense of place in rural Virginia
- Art & Design: Spirit and Place. Consensus Design.
- Building a Sense of Place
- Community, Culture and Environment: A Guide to Understanding a Sense of Place
- Discovering a Sense of Place (Northwest Earth Institute)
- Ecological Restoration and a Sense of Place (Maryland Sea Grant)
- E-Podunk.com - with a sense of place page.
- Making Sense of Place (Tom Woods) - consulting and planning to help "make sense of the places in our lives."
- Sense of Community Project (Lansing, MI)
- Sense of Place Project (Arizona-Sonoma Desert Museum)
- Sense of Place: The University of Idaho 2002-03 Humanities Seminar.
- Sense of Place
- Sense of Place - Meanings
- Sense of Place Bibliography
- Sense of Place: A Framework for Exploring American Culture(s). Web-Based Bibliography
Courses and Programs
How does one investigate sense of place, without transforming place into either a material, quantifiable object "out there," or a reflection of arbitrary, nebulous subjective emotions?
"On the Waterfront"
Alternatives Journal 28:3
- Communicating a Sense of Place (Nancy Cheng)
- Discovering a Sense of Place (Northwest Earth Institute)
- Conscious Choice
- A Sense of Place May 1996
Email Discussion Lists
- Place & Community: To subscribe: Send an email to PlaceCommemail@example.com with "subscribe" in the body
- Woods, Tom
- Barrell, John. The Idea of Landscape and the Sense of Place 1730-1840: An Approach to the Poetry of John Clare. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1972.
- Baviskar, Amita. "Strong Sense of Self and Place" http://www.hinduonnet.com/folio/fo0007/00070220.htm
- Billingsly, John. "Different Places, Different Spaces." http://www.danu.co.uk/ne/85/place.html
- Bishop, Peter. "Off Road: Four-Wheel Drive and the Sense of Place." Environment and Planning D-Society & Space 14 (1996): 257 - 271.
- Bricker, K.S. Place and preference: A study of whitewater recreationists on the South Fork
of the American River. Ph.D. diss., The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 1998. 342p.
- Bricker, K.S., and D.L. Kerstetter. "Level of specialization and place attachment: An exploratory study of whitewater recreationists." Leisure Science 22 (2000): 233-257.
- Briggs, A. "The Sense of Place." in The Fitness of Man's Environment, Smithsonian Annual, II. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1968.
- Burley, David, Pam Jenkins, Joanne Darlington, Brian Azcona, "Loss, Attachment, and Place: A Case Study of Grand Isle, Louisiana." Michael Benton, Melissa Purdue, and G. Wesley Houp, eds. Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture 5:3 (Summer 2005) http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/burley.shtml
- Cameron, J. "Articulating Australian Senses of Place." http://sites.uws.edu.au/research/SERG/Articulating_jcameron.htm
- Cameron, J. "Sense of Place, Spirit of Place: Dilemmas and Possibilities." http://sites.uws.edu.au/research/SERG/AGtalkSOP_jcameron.htm
- Cameron, J. "Working with Polarities: An Inclusive Approach to Sense of Place and Environmental Advocacy." http://sites.uws.edu.au/research/SERG/Polarities_jcameron.htm
- Champion, Erik. "Cultural Interaction and a Sense of Place in a Digital Environment." http://www.student.unimelb.edu.au/~erikc/Papers/CAMEA.pdf
- Chatwin, Bruce. Songlines. London: Pan, 1988.
- Cross, Jennifer. Protecting Our Place: Establishing and Maintaining Place Attachments In the Face of Population Growth and Change. Ph.D. diss., University of California, Davis, 2001.
- Cross, Jennifer. "What is Sense of Place?" http://www.western.edu/headwaters/archives/headwaters12_papers/cross_paper.html
- de Wit, Cary. "Senses of Place on the High Plains." Environmental and Architectural Phenomenology 5:2: 10-11.
- Donaldson, D. P. & Tyner, J. A. "Marketing a 'sense of place': Representations of Africa in ecotour Websites." Geographical Bulletin Gamma Theta Upsilon. 41:2 (1999): 103-112.
- Eisenhaur, B.W., R.S. Krannich, and D.J. Blahna. "Attachment to special places on public lands: An analysis of activities, reasons, for attachments, and community connections." Society and Natural Resources 13 (2000): 421-443.
- Eyles, J., Senses of Place. Warrington: Silverbrook Press, 1985.
- Falk, William. "Toward a Sense of Place." http://www.rupri.org/ruralmatters/software/rupri.drft1.pdf
- Feld, Steven and Keith H. Basso. Senses of Place. Santa Fe, NM: School of American Research Press, 1996.
- Herzfeld, Michael. "Book review: Feld & Basso, Senses of Place." American Anthropologist 100:1 (1998): 195-243.
- Hirsch, Eric. "Review of Senses of Place" Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 5:4 (Dec 1999): 670ff.
- Ferris, William. "A Sense of Place." http://www.neh.fed.us/news/humanities/1998-01/ferris.html
- Flack, W. "American microbreweries and neolocalism: 'ale-ing' for a sense of place." Journal of Cultural Geography 16:2 (1997): 37-53.
- Freehafer, Nancy. "Where Can We Find Community?" Conscious Choice May 1996 http://www.consciouschoice.com/issues/cc093/wherecommunity.html
- Gee, Henry. "Existential Terroir in Northern California" Scientific American 291:3 (September 2004): 118, 120. http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=000859FE-8DBF-111A-BAF583414B7F4945
- Hammit, W. E. & Stewart, W. P. "Sense of Place: A Call for Construct Clarity and Management." Paper presented at the Sixth International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, May 18-23, 1996, State College, PA.
- Hannon, B. "Sense of Place: Geographic Discounting by People, Animals and Plants." Ecological Economics 10:2 (1994): 157-174.
- Hashisaki, Kathleen Sono. Experience of Place: Significant Childhood and Adult Environments. Master's Thesis, University of Washington, 1988.
- Hay, R. "A rooted sense of place in cross-cultural perspective. Canadian Geographer 42:3 (1998): 245-266.
- Hecox, Walt, Frank Patrick Holmes, Robert David Pilz. "An Economic and Demographic Sense of Place for the Gunnison Headwaters Region." http://www2.coloradocollege.edu/dept/EC/Faculty/Hecox/ECSenseHeadwtrsPDF.pdf
- Hepburn, Ronald." Knowing (Aesthetically) Where I Am." http://www.lancs.ac.uk/users/philosophy/resources%20rtf%20files/hepburn.pdf
- Howard, Ian. "From the Inside Out: The Farm as Place." in Light, Andrew & Jonathan Smith, eds. Philosophies of Place: Philosophy and Geography III. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999: 147-167.
- Howard, Patrick, "Nurturing Sense of Place Through the Literature of the Bioregion" Michael Benton, Melissa Purdue, and G. Wesley Houp, eds. Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture 5:3 (Summer 2005) http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/howard.shtml
- Hummon, D. "Community Attachment: Local Sentiment and Sense of Place." in I. Altman & S. Low, eds. Place Attachment. New York: Plenum Press, 1992: 253-278.
- Johnstone, Barbara. Stories, Community, and Place: Narratives from Middle America. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1990.
- Jorgensen, B. S. & R. C. Stedman. "Measuring Sense of Place: Lakeshore Owners' Attitudes Toward Their Properties." http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/ruralsoc/lter/Measuring%20Sense%20of%20Place.PDF
- Joseph, Lee, ed. Ireland: towards a sense of place. University College Cork-R.T.E. lectures, Cork University Press, 1985.
- Kaltenborn, B.P. "Nature of place attachment: A study among recreation homeowners in southern Norway." Leisure Sciences 19 (1997): 175-189.
- Kaltenborn, B.P. "Recreation homes in natural settings: Factors affecting place attachment." Norwegian Journal of Geography 51 (1997): 187-198.
- Kaltenborn, B.P. "Effects of sense of place on responses to environmental impact: A study among residents in Svalbard in the Norwegian high Arctic." Applied Geography 18 (1998): 169-189.
- Krupat, E. "A Place for Place Identity." Journal of Environmental Psychology 3(1983): 343-344.
- Kula, Michael. "What Have Bagels Got to Do With Midwesternness?" Michael Benton, Melissa Purdue, and G. Wesley Houp, eds. Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture 5:3 (Summer 2005) http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/kula.shtml
- Lamb, David. A Sense of Place: Listening to Americans. Times Books, 1993.
- Lappan, Mark. "A Lifeworld on Water: Home and Journey on the Great Lakes." Environmental and Architectural Phenomenology 2:2: 14-15.
- Leary, Charles. "What is the Matrix? Cinema, Totality, and Topophilia" http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/04/32/matrix.html
- MacLeod, Chelsea Elizabeth. Sense of place: an interpretive study of selected residents of Strathcona County, Alberta. M. A. Thesis, University of Alberta, 2000.
- Massey, Doreen. "Power-Geometry and a Progressive Sense of Place." in Bird, Jon, Barry Curtis, Tim Putnam, George Robertson & Lisa Tickner, eds. Mapping the Futures. London: Routledge, 1993: 59-69.
- Mensch, G. S. & O. Manor. "Social ties, environmental perception, and local attachment." Environment and Behavior 30:4 (1998): 504-519.
- Meyrowitz, Joshua. No Sense of Place: The Impact of Electronic Media on Social Behaviour. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1985.
- Mazumdar, Sanjoy, Shampa Mazumdar, Faye Docuyanan, Colette Marie McLaughlin. "Creating a Sense of Place: The Vietnamese-Americans and Little Saigon." Journal of Environmental Psychology 20:4 (Dec 2000): 319-333.
- Mueller, Jim. "Sacred Spaces and Safe Places." Conscious Choice May 1996 http://www.consciouschoice.com/issues/cc093/sacredsafe.html
- Pascual-de-Sans, Àngels. "Sense of place and migratory histories. Idiotopy and idiotope." http://www.iussp.org/Brazil2001/s40/S41_02_PascualdeSans.pdf
- Perez, Martha Patricia. Reciprocity and a sense of place: A phenomenological map of Haitian space. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, 2001.
- Oakes, Tim. "Ethnic tourism in rural Guizhou; sense of place and the commerce of authenticity." In Tourism, Ethnicity, and the State in Asian and Pacific Societies, eds. M. Picard, and R. Wood. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1997: 35-70. http://spot.colorado.edu/~toakes/authenticity.htm
- Riley, Robert B. "Attachment to the Ordinary Landscape." Altman, Irwin & Setha M. Low, eds. Place Attachment. New York: Plenum Press, 1992: 14ff.
- Salvesen, David. "The Making of Place." http://www.matr.net/article-4108.html
- Sandell, K. "Public access and sense of place: outdoor recreation in Sweden 1880-2000/Naturkontakt och allemansratt: Om friluftslivets naturmote och friluftslandskapets tillganglighet i Sverige 1880-2000." Svensk Geografisk Arsbok 73 (1997): 31-65.
- Sandford, R. D. "A Sense of Place: A Local's Sense of Place In The Canadian Rockies" http://www.digitalbanff.com/sandford/place.html
- Seddon, George. Sense of Place. Nedlands: University of Western Australia Press, 1972.
- Schwab, Jim. "Death and the Power of Place." Conscious Choice May 1996 http://www.consciouschoice.com/issues/cc093/deathplace.html
- Shumaker, S. A., & Taylor, R. B. "Toward a clarification of people-place relationships: A model of attachment to place." In N. R. Feimer & E. S. Geller (Eds.), Environmental psychology: Directions and perspectives. New York: Praeger, 1983.
- Shamai, S. "Sense of place: An empirical measurement." Geoforum 22 (1991): 347-358.
- Smith, Jonathan M. "Ramifications of Region and Senses of Place." in Carville Earle, Kent Matthewson and Martin Kenzer, eds. Concepts in Human Geography. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1996.
- Starrs, P.F. "The importance of places, or, a sense of where you are." Spectrum: The Journal of State Governments 67:3 (1994): 5-17.
- Stedman, R.C. "Sense of Place as an Indicator of Community Sustainability." The Forestry Chronicle 75:5 (1999):765-770.
- Stegner, Wallace. "The Sense of Place" http://www.mtbaker.wednet.edu/tlcf/The%20Sense%20of%20Place.htm and http://www.colorado.edu/Sewall/sense.htm
- Steele, Fritz. The Sense of Place. Boston: CBI Publishing Company, Inc., 1981.
- Swinchatt, Jonathan & David G. Howell. The Winemaker's Dance: Exploring Terroir in the Napa Valley. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 2004.
At its core, the notion of terroir refers to all the qualities that characterize place: topography, bedrock, sediments, and soils, temperature, and rainfall. Some wine writers and professionals include viticultural practices, and others recognize the impact of...the winemaker.
Swinchatt & Howell, The Winemaker's Dance
- Tall, Deborah. From Where I Stand: Recovering a Sense of Place. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1993.
- Tall, Deborah. "Dwelling: Making Peace with Space and Place." Vitek, William & Wes Jackson, eds. Rooted in the Land: Essays on Community and Place. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996: 104-112.
- Taylor, R. B., Gottfredson, S. D., & Brower, S. "Attachment to place: Discriminant validity and impacts of disorder and diversity." American Journal of Community Psychology 13 (1985): 525-542.
- Taylor, R. B., Gottfredson, S. D., & Brower, S. "Neighborhood naming as an index of attachment to place." Population and Environment 7 (1984): 101-111.
- Tuan, Y. F. "Rootedness versus sense of place." Landscape 24(1980): 3-8.
- Umphrey, Michael. "A Hunger for Reality: Writing an Essay of Place." http://www.asle.umn.edu/archive/syllabi/umphrey.txt
- Vaske, J.J., and K. Korbin. 2001. "Place attachment and environmentally responsible behavior." Journal of Environmental Education 32:4 (2001): 116-21.
- Vorkinn, M., and H. Riese. "Environmental concern in a local context: The significance of place attachment." Environment and Behavior 33:2 (2001): 249-363.
- Warzecha, C.A, and D.W. Lime. "Place attachment in Canyonlands National Park: Visitors' assessment of setting attributes on the Green and Colorado Rivers. Journal of Park and Recreational Administration 19:1 (2001): 59-78.
- Wasserman, David, Mick Womersley, and Sara Gottleib. "Can a Sense of Place Be Preserved?" in Light, Andrew & Jonathan Smith, eds. Philosophies of Place: Philosophy and Geography III. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999.
For [humanistic geographers], place is never merely an object. It is always an object for a subject. It is seen, for each individual, as a center of meanings, intentions, or felt values; a focus of emotional or sentimental attachment; a locality of felt significance.
Allan Pred, "Structuration and Place"
- Weiss, Glen. "Instant Place." http://www.arcadejournal.com/Vol16/16-3/16-3place.htm
- Wenders, Wim. "A Sense of Place: A Talk at Princeton" http://www.wim-wenders.com/news_reel/2001/0103princeton.htm
- Williams, D.R., and S.I. Stewart. "Sense of place: an elusive concept that is finding a home in ecosystem management." Journal of Forestry 96:5 (1998):18-23.
- Williams, Daniel R. & Jerry J. Vaske. "The Measurement of Place Attachment: Validity and Generalizability of A Psychometric Approach." http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/value/docs/place_attachment_psychometric.pdf
- Yan Xu. "Sense of Place and Identity." http://www.eslarp.uiuc.edu/la/LA437-F95/reports/yards/main.html
Updated Sept. 19 2005
Page Location: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/place/placesense.htm