Home Page & Email | || |
- My Anchorage
- Non-Places and Nomadic Learning
- Photographic Non-Places (Lisa Anne Chong)
- Place and Placelessness
- Placeless Geography
- Placeless Geography
- Representing Space - non-places in advertising
- The Modern Nomad - Allianz & AT&T ads
Airplane travel is one of the black holes of American design. Walk 10 steps into any airport, and you feel yourself sucked into a kind of placelessness, a modular nightmare of function over form that ends only with your subsequent ejection into a different city.
Jonathan Dee, "Flying in the Face of Mediocrity" NY Times Nov. 30, 2002
- Arefi, Mahyar. "Non-Place and Placelessness as Narratives of Loss: Rethinking the Notion of Place." Journal of Urban Design 4/2 (1999): 179-194.
- Augé, Marc. "From the Places to the Non-Places." http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/teaching/wfp/ABGESCHLOSSENE/nimmrichter/Auge.html
- Augé, Marc. Non-Places: Introduction to an Anthropology of Supermodernity. London & New York: Verso Books, 1995.
- n.a. "Taphonomies of Topography: from the death of ‘place’ to its hyphenated apotheosis" http://www.wits.ac.za/fac/arts/socanth/Places-review.html
- Borén, Thomas. "Icke-platser." Review of Marc Augé, 1995: Non-places: Introduction to an Anthropology of Supermodernity. Verso: London. In Nordisk Samhällsgeografisk Tidskrift No. 27 (1998).
- Collins, Samuel. "Head Out On the Highway": Anthropological Encounters with the Supermodern. A Review of Augé, Marc. 1995. Non-places: introduction to an anthropology of supermodernity. Translated by John Howe. London: Verso. http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/pmc/text-only/issue.996/review-2.996
- Boswell, Grant. Non-Places and the Enfeeblement of Rhetoric in Supermodernity. Enculturation, Vol. 1:1 (Spring 1997) http://enculturation.gmu.edu/1_1/boswell.html
- Durand, Alain-Philippe. Les Non-lieux dans la littérature française contemporaine - course
- Durand, Alain-Philippe. Un monde techno. Nouveaux espaces électroniques dans le roman français des années 1980-1990. Berlin: Weidler Buchverlag, 2004.
- Eriksen, Thomas Hylland & Runar Døving. "In limbo: Notes on the culture of airports." http://folk.uio.no/geirthe/Airports.html
- Gabrielsson, Catharina. "Out of Nowhere." http://www.mikaellevin.com/catharina_gabrielsson.html
Place is an organized world of meaning. It is essentially a static concept. If we see the world as process, constantly changing, we should not be able to develop any sense of place.
Yi-Fu Tuan, Space and Place
- Knoke, William. Bold New World: The Essential Road Map to the 21st Century. Kodansha America, Inc., 1996. With a sample chapter.
- Kunstler, James Howard. The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993.
- McDonald, Robert. "Place and Non-Place in the Urban Experience." http://www.americansc.org.uk/Online/Place_and_non-place.htm
- Relph, Edward. Place and Placelessness. London: Pion, 1976.
- Vacchelli, Elena. Non-Places - photographs http://shiva.uniurb.it/eurex/visual_lab/visual%20seminar/non%20places.htm
Mankind has an insatiable need and lust for stories.
Basically, these stories exist everywhere,
clad in local colour, populated by local characters
that embellish the ever-same myths
that are the same all over the world.
But it is only recently,
that this need is filled more and more
with pre-fab "Ersatz" stories
that pretend to satisfy people's need all over the world
but deliver only make-believe:
Stories deprived of the places they were coming from
and which gave birth to them,
cannot really satisfy.
They tend to make up for their lack of place
with ever shinier surfaces,
with more spectacular special effects,
with greater, outrageous budgets, more luscious sets…
They fill the hole they have created
with glorious material.
But it remains "filler" for the real thing.
Wim Wenders, "A Sense of Place"
Updated March 8, 2007
Page Location: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/place/nonplaces.htm