Home Page & Email | || |
Place and Space in Music & Sound, Dance and Theatre
- Acoustic Ecology Institute
- Acoustic Ecology Research Group
- Audio and Three Dimensional Sound Links
- Music via Motion
- Putting Music In Its Place - 15 October 2002
- The Sound World of Bosavi (Steven Feld)
- Space and Time in Music (German Academy of Music)
- Space in Theatre Performance
- Spatial Sound Links
- World Forum for Acoustic Ecology
- World Soundscape Project
- Youth, Sound, and Space
- Monkman, Martin. Landscapes in Music: References.
- Sound and Space: An Incomplete Bibliography
- Bank, Rosemarie. "Brook Farm and the Performance of Heterotopia." New England Theatre Journal 9 (1998): 1-22.
Music, great and moving music,
does not happen without a sense of place.
It needs roots to draw from,
it needs "story" and "his-story"
(basically the same word) to nourish it.
Sometimes, the absence of a place,
the yearning for it, the exile from it,
can produce the same roots.
Wim Wenders, "A Sense of Place"
- Bennett, Andy. Popular Music and Youth Culture: Music, Identity and Place. Palgrave MacMillan, 2000.
- Bilby, Kenneth. "Ethnicity, Identity and Music: The Musical Construction of Place." Ethnic and Racial Studies 23:1 (January 2000): 166-168.
- Blake, Andrew & George Lipsitz. "Dangerous Crossroads. Popular Music, Postmodernism and the Poetics of Place." History Workshop Journal 44 (Autumn 1997): 248-252.
- Blauert, Jens. Spatial Hearing - Revised Edition: The Psychophysics of Human Sound Localization. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1996.
- Bowen, Dawn S. "Lookin' for Margaritaville: Place and Imagination in Jimmy Buffett's Songs." Journal of Cultural Geography 16:2 (Spring-Summer 1997): 99-108.
- Breinbjerg, Morten. "Sense of Space, Sense of Place -staging of auditory spaces in computer music and multimedia", Virtual Soundscapes Skövde 22-24 September 2000.
- Briginshaw, Valerie. Dance, Space and Subjectivity. Palgrave Press, 2001.
- Bull, Michael. "Sound connections: an aural epistemology of proximity and distance in urban culture" Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 22:1 (February 2004): 103-116.
- Carlson, Marvin. Places of Performance: The Semiotics of Theatre Architecture. Cornell University Press, 1993.
- Carney, George. "Music and Place" in The Sounds of People and Places: A Geography of American Folk and Popular Music from Country to Classical and Blues to Bop, 4th Edition. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2002.
- Chaudhuri, Una. Staging Place: The Geography of Modern Drama. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1995.
- Chaudhuri, Una. Land/Scape/Theater: Toward the New Spatial Paradigm. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2002.
- Coburn, Robert. "Composing Space: The Integration of Music, Time, and Space in Multi-Dimensional Sound Installations." http://www.iii.rmit.edu.au/sonology/ACMC2002/ACMC2002_Web_Proceedings/143-148_Coburn.pdf
- Cohen, S. "Sounding out the city: music and the sensuous production of place." Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 20 (1995): 434-446.
- Cohen, S. "Identity, Place and the ‘Liverpool Sound.'" in Stokes, Martin, ed. Ethnicity, Identity and Music: The Musical Construction of Place. Oxford: Berg, 1994: 117-134.
- Cooney, Denise von Glahn. "A Sense of Place: Charles Ives and 'Putnam's Camp, Redding, Conneticut'" American Music (Fall 1996): 276-312.
- D'Amico, Jack. "The Treatment of Space in Italian and English Renaissance Theater: The Example of Gl'Ingannati and Twelfth Night." Comparative Drama 23:3 (Fall 1989): 265-83.
- DeNora, Tia. "How is Extra-Musical Meaning Possible? Music as a Place and Space for "Work"." Sociological Theory 4:1 (Spring, 1986): 84-94.
- Duffy, Michelle. "Rhythmic Landscapes: Performing a Sense of Place." http://www.cia.com.au/peril/youth/duffy1.pdf
- Duffy, Michelle. "Lines of Drift: Festival Participation and Performing in a Sense of Place." Popular Music 19:1 (January 2000): 51-64.
- Edmunds, Lowell. Theatrical Space and Historical Place in Sophocles' Oedipus at Colonus. Rowman & Littlefield, 1996.
- El Haouli, Janete. "Radio: The Art of Sonorous Space." Mikropolyphonie - The Online Contemporary Music Journal 7 (2001) http://farben.latrobe.edu.au/mikropol/volume7/el_haouli_j/El_Haouli.html
- Feld, Steven. "A Poetics of Place: Ecological and Aesthetic Co-evolution in a Papua New Guinea Rainforest Community." in Roy F. Ellen and Katsuyoshi Fukui, eds., Redefining Nature: Ecology, Culture, and Domestication. London: Berg, 1996: 61-87. Reprinted, abridged, as "Lift-up-over Sounding", in David Rothenberg and Marta Ulvaes, eds., The Book of Music and Nature. Wesleyan University Press, 2001.
- Ford, L and F. Henderson. "The images of place in American pop music, 1890-1970." Places 1 (1974): 31-37.
- Forman, Murray. "'Represent': Race, Space and Place in Rap Music." Popular Music 19:1 (January 2000): 65-90.
- Forman, Murray. The 'hood comes first: race, space, and place in rap and hip-hop. Middletown, Conn.: Wesleyan University Press, 2002.
- Francaviglia, R. V. "Diffusion and popular culture: comments on the spatial aspects of rock music." in Lanegram, DA and Palm, R (eds) An Invitation to Geography New York: McGraw Hill (1978): 117-126.
- Garner, Stanton B. Bodied spaces: phenomenology and performance in contemporary drama. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1994.
- Gibson, Chris. ""We sing our home, We dance our land": indigenous self-determination and contemporary geopolitics in Australian popular music." Environment and Planning D-Society & Space 16 (1998): 163 - 184. Abstract
- Gibson, Chris and Rebecca Pagan. "Rave Culture in Sydney Australia: Mapping Youth Spaces in Media Discourse." http://www.cia.com.au/peril/youth/chrispagan2.pdf
- Gibson, Chris and Peter Dunbar-Hill. "Nitmiluk: Place and Empowerment in Australian Aboriginal Popular Music." Ethnomusicology: Journal of the Society for Ethnomusicology 44:1 (Winter 2000): 39-64.
- Gumprecht, Blake. "Lubbock on Everything: The Evocation of Place in Popular Music (A West Texas Example)." Journal of Cultural Geography 18:1 (1998): 61ff. Also in The Sounds of People and Places: A Geography of American Folk and Popular Music from Country to Classical and Blues to Bop, 4th Edition. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2002.
- Howitt, Richard. "Scale as relation: musical metaphors of geographical scale." http://www.es.mq.edu.au/~rhowitt/scaleas.htm
- Jarviluoma, Helmi. "From Manchuria to the Tradition Village: On the Construction of Place via Pelimanni Music." Popular Music 19:1 (January 2000): 101-24.
- Jones, Rhett. "Place, Politics, and the Performing Arts in the African Diaspora." Western Journal of Black Studies 24:2 (Summer 2000): 71-79.
- Kong, Lily. "Popular Music and a "Sense of Place" in Singapore." http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/staff/home/geokongl/doc/xroadpap.doc
- Lawe Davies, C "Aboriginal rock music: space and place" in Bennett, T, Frith, S, Grossberg, L, Shepherd, J and Turner, G., eds. Rock and Popular Music: Politics, Policies, Institutions. London: Routledge, 1993: 249-265.
- Lee, Tong Soon. "Technology and the Production of Islamic Space: The Call to Prayer in Singapore." Ethnomusicology 43:1 (Winter, 1999): 86-100.
- Lehr, J. C. "‘Texas (When I Die)’: National identity and images of place in Canadian country music broadcasts." The Canadian Geographer 27 (1983): 361-70.
- Lemon, Ralph. Geography: Art / race / exile. University Press of New England, 2003.
- Lipsitz, George. Dangerous Crossroads: Popular Music, Postmodernism and the Poetics of Place. Verso Books, 1997.
- Lutterbie, John. "Phenomenology and the Dramaturgy of Space and Place." Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism 16:1 (Fall 2001): 123-30.
- Mackey, Sally. "Drama, Landscape and Memory: To Be is to Be in Place." Research in Drama Education 7:1 (2002): 9-25.
- Magowan, Fiona, "'The Land is Our Märr (Essence), It Stays Forever': The Yothu-Yindi Relationship in Australian Aboriginal Traditional and Popular Music," in Martin Stokes, Ethnicity, Identity and Music. The Musical Construction of Place. Oxford: Berg Publisher, 1994: 135-155.
- McAuley, Gay. Space in Performance: Making Meaning in the Theatre. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, 1999.
- McCartney, Andra. "Sounding Places with Hildegard Westerkamp." Electronic Music Foundation Institute site, November 2000. http://emfinstitute.emf.org/materials/mccartney00/
- Mehldau, Brad. Places. Warner Brothers Music, 2000. See the liner notes for this album, for an essay on place.
- Monkman, Martin. "Geography of Sound and Music." Part One of "Landscapes in Music: An Overview" http://www.coastnet.com/~monkman/music/geomus1.htm
- Monkman, Martin. "Musical Depictions of Landscape." Part Two of "Landscapes in Music: An Overview" http://www.coastnet.com/~monkman/music/geomus2.htm
- Moreira, James. "Place and Transformal Meaning in Nineteenth Century Sea Songs." Canadian Folklore Canadien 12:2 (1990): 69-84.
- Niaah, Sonjah Stanley. "Making Space: Kingston's Dancehall Culture and its Philosophy of 'Boundarylessness'". African Identities: A Journal of Economics, Culture and Society. 2:2 (November 2004): 117-132.
- Revill, George. "Music and the politics of sound: nationalism, citizenship, and auditory space." Environment and Planning D-Society & Space 18:5 (October 2000): 597-613.
- Roberson, James. "Uchinaa Pop: Place and Identity in Contemporary Okinawan Popular Music." Critical Asian Studies 33:2 (June 2001): 211-242.
- Saldanha, Arun. "Music, Space, Identity: Global Youth/Local Others in Bangalore India." http://www.cia.com.au/peril/youth/arun-msi.pdf
- Saldanha, Arun. "Goa trance in Goa: globalization, musical practice and the politics of place." http://gopher.ulb.ac.be/~jteurlin/Publications/Arunsydney.html
- Schafer, R. Murray. The Turning of the World: Toward a Theory of Soundscape Design. University of Pennsylvania Press, 1980.
- Schafer, R. Murray. "A Deceptive Neighborhood: The Soundscape of Toronto's Lower Forest Hill." Environmental and Architectural Phenomenology (Winter 1992) http://www.arch.ksu.edu/seamon/Schafer92.htm
- Schafer, R. Murray. "Acoustic Space." Seamon, David & Robert Mugerauer, Dwelling, Place, and Environment: Toward a Phenomenology of Person and World. Dordrecht: Martinus Nijhoff, 1985: 87-98.
- Schafer, R. Murray. "Argentinian Soundscapes, November 1994" Environmental and Architectural Phenomenology (Spring 1995) http://www.arch.ksu.edu/seamon/Schafer_Argent.htm
- Smith, J. S. "The Concept of Space in Medieval Drama: Toward a Phenomenological Interpretation in Medieval Studies." in Tymieniecka, Anna-Teresa, ed. The Elemental Passion for Place in the Ontopoiesis of Life Passions of the Soul in the Imaginatio Creatrix. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
- Smith, Susan J. "Performing the (Sound)World." Environment and Planning D-Society & Space 18:5 (October 2000): 615-637.
- Stanier, Philip. "Re: Location. The Use of Space in Contemporary British Experimental Theatre." http://www.brunel.ac.uk/depts/pfa/bstjournal/1nol2/Philip%20Stanier/BspaceT.htm
- Stokes, Martin, ed. Ethnicity, Identity and Music: The Musical Construction of Place. Oxford: Berg, 1994; Palgrave Macmillan, 1997.
- Stokes, Martin. "Place, Exchange and Meaning: Black Sea Musicians in the West of Ireland." in Stokes, Martin, ed. Ethnicity, Identity and Music: The Musical Construction of Place. Oxford: Berg, 1994: 97-116.
- Stump, Roger W. "Place and Innovationin Popular Music: The Bebop Revolution in Jazz." in The Sounds of People and Places: A Geography of American Folk and Popular Music from Country to Classical and Blues to Bop, 4th Edition. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2002.
- Thomas, L. "A Sense of Community: Blues Music as Primer for Urbanization." Popular Music and Society 14:2 (Summer 1990): 77-86.
- Valentine, Gill. "Creating Transgressive Space: The Music of kd lang." Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, New Series 20:4 (1995): 474-485.
Updated Sept 3 2009
Page Location: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/place/music.htm