Home Page & Email | || |
Place and Space in History, Historical Preservation & Folklore
- City Limits? The European City, 1400-1900. University of Manitoba, Oct 1-2, 2004.
- Public History: The Practice of History in the Public Sphere
- Social Sites - Öffentliche Räume - Lieux d'échanges 1300-1800 (An Academic Network of Historians at the Universities of Dresden, Paris I and Warwick)
- Theoretical Treatments of Place and Space
Email Discussion Lists
- H-Nilas - Nature in Legend and Story
- Abramson, Daniel. "Make History, Not Memory: History's Critique of Memory." Harvard Design Magazine 9 (Fall 1999). http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/research/publications/hdm/back_issues/9abramson.html
- Allon, Fiona. "Translated spaces/translated identities: the production of place, culture and memory in an Australian suburb. (Visualising Place and Space)." Journal of Australian Studies (January 2002): 101ff.
- Amsden, J, ed. "The Spatial Dimension of History." Radical History Review 1 (1979): 3-247
- Archibald, Robert R. A Place to Remember: Using History to Build Community. Walnut Creek, Calif.: AltaMira Press, 1999.
- Arnade, Peter J. "Fertile Spaces: The Productivity of Urban Space in Northern Europe." Journal of Interdisciplinary History 32:4 (2002)
- Barber, Lucy. Marching on Washington: The Forging of an American Tradition. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002.
- Burgess, J. Peter. "European Borders: History Of Space/Space Of History." http://www.ctheory.net/text_file.asp?pick=55
- Carter, Paul. The Road to Botany Bay: An Exploration of Landscape and History. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1988.
- Cope, M. "She hath done what she could: community, citizenship, and place among women in late nineteenth-century Colorado." Historical Geography 26 (1998): 45-64.
- Cronon, William. Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists and the Ecology of New England. New York: Hill & Wang, 1983.
- Cronon, William. "A Place for Stories: Nature, History, and Narrative." Journal of American History 78 (1992): 1347-1376.
- Delaney, David. Race, Place, and the Law 1836––1948. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1998.
- Pritchett, Wendell. Review of David Delaney, Race, Place, and the Law. http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=27082927145943
- Flores, Richard R. Remembering the Alamo: Memory, Modernity, and the Master Symbol. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2002.
- Gómez, Fernando. Good Places and Non-Places in Colonial Mexico: The Figure of Vasco de Quiroga (1470-1565). University Press of America, 2001.
- Gordon, Bruce, Peter Marshall, eds. The Place of the Dead: Death and Remembrance in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Harte, Jeremy. "The Power of Lonely Places." http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/crockern.htm
- Hayes, Dawn Marie. Body and Sacred Place in Medieval Europe, 1100-1389. Routledge, 2003.
- Herzfeld, Michael. A Place in History: Social and Monumental Time in a Cretan Town. Princeton University Press: 1991.
- Howe, John & Michael Wolfe, eds. Inventing Medieval Landscapes: Senses of Place in Western Europe. University of Florida Press, 2002.
- Jorgensen, Dan. "Placing the Past and Moving the Present: Myth and Contemporary History in Telefomin." Culture 10:2(1990): 47-56.
- Klein, Bernhard. Maps and the Writing of Space in Early Modern England and Ireland. Palgrave Press, 2001.
- Nally, David. "The Production of Space: Review of Bernhard Klein. Maps and the Writing of Space in Early Modern England and Ireland. Paul C. Adams, Steven Hoelscher, Karen Till, eds. Textures of Place: Exploring Humanist Geographies. http://www.canlit.ca/reviews/unassigned/5574_nally.html
- Leuchtenburg, William E., ed. American Places: Encounters With History. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Mansfield, Howard. In the Memory House. Fulcrum Publishing, 1993.
We have everywhere an absence of memory.
Architects sometimes talk of building with context and continuity in mind, religious leaders call it tradition, social workers say it's a sense of community, but it is memory we have banished from our cities.
We have speed and power, but no place.
Travel, but no destination.
Convenience, but no ease.
Howard Mansfield, In the Memory House
- Mansfield, Howard. The Bones of the Earth. Shoemaker and Hoard, 2004.
- Morrison, Tessa. "Architectural Space as Political Mnemonic." http://home.iprimus.com.au/painless/space/tessa.html
- Neumann, Robert. "Social Identity and the Politics of Place in France." Eighteenth Century Life 24:1 (2000).
- Ogborn, Miles and Charles Withers. Georgian Geographies: Essays on Space, Place and Landscape in the Eighteenth Century. Palgrave Macmillan, 2004.
- Paddock, Troy R. E. "Land Makes the Man: Topography and National Character in German Schoolbooks." Backhaus, Gary and John Murungi, eds. Lived Topographies: and their Mediational Forces. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2005.
- Peskin, Lawrence A. "Pirates and the Geography of Knowledge: America and Algiers in the Late-Eighteenth Century." Backhaus, Gary and John Murungi, eds. Earth Ways: Framing Geographical Meanings. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2004.
- Pred, Allan. Place, Practice and Structure: Social and Spatial Transformation in Southern Sweden: 1750-1850. Totowa, NJ: Barnes and Noble, 1986.
- Raivo, P. J. "Politics of memory: Historical battlefields and sense of place." Nordia Geographical Publications 27:1 (1998): 59-66.
- Rogers, Tim. "Henri Lefebvre, Space, and Folklore" Ethnologies 24:1 (2002)
- Rollo-Koster, Joëlle. “The Politics of Body Parts: Contested Topographies in Late Medieval Avignon” Speculum: A Journal of Medieval Studies 78 (January 2003): 66-98.
- Rypkema, Donovan. "Community, Place, and the Economics of Historic Preservation." http://www.state.nj.us/dep/hpo/4sustain/spkrseries1.pdf
- San Juan, Rose Marie. Rome: A City Out Of Print. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001.
- Self, Robert. "'To Plan Our Liberation': Black Power and the Politics of Place in Oakland, California, 1965-1977" Journal of Urban History September, 2000.
- Shepard, Alexandra, Phil Withington. Communities in Early Modern England: Networks, Place, Rhetoric. Palgrave Macmillan, 2001.
- Sluyter, Andrew, "From Archive to Map to Pastoral Landscape: A Spatial Perspective on the Livestock Ecology of Sixteenth-Century New Spain" Environmental History 3:4 (October 1998): 508-28.
- Steege, Paul. "Finding the There There: Local Space, Global Ritual, and Early Cold War Berlin." Backhaus, Gary and John Murungi, eds. Earth Ways: Framing Geographical Meanings. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2004.
- Stilgoe, John R. Common Landscape of America, 1580 to 1845. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1982.
- Stilgoe, John. Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places. New York: Walker and Co., 1998.
- Stobart, Jon. "The spatial organization of a regional economy: central places in North-west England in the early-eighteenth century." Journal of Historical Geography 22:2 (Apr 1996): 147-159.
- Stratford, Elaine. "Gender, Place and Travel: The Case of Elsie Birks, South Australian Pioneer." Journal of Australian Studies Sept 2000: 116.
- Swain, E. D. "Of Place and Community." The Oral History Review 29:1 (March 2002): 109-114.
- Trubshaw, Bob. "The metaphors and rituals of place and time - an introduction to liminality or Why Christopher Robin wouldn't walk on the cracks." http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/liminal.htm
- White, Richard and John M. Findlay, eds. Power and Place in the North American West. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999.
- Young, Liz. "Paupers, property, and place: a geographical analysis of the English, Irish, and Scottish Poor Laws in the mid-l9th century." Environment and Planning D-Society & Space 12 (1994): 325-340.
Updated May 15, 2006
Page Location: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/place/history.htm