Home Page & Email | || |
Place and Space in Art, Art History, Design, Photography
- $.23 Stories
- Art Investigations (Christopher Tyler)
- Reservation X: The Power of Place
- Off the Map: A Tour of Backyard Paradises Created By Visionary Artists...Around the World.
- On Location: Special Issue of The Chronicle of New Media Arts.
- Space: Walker Art Gallery (Carl Francis DiSalvo)
- Space and Place
- Taken for Granted: The Representation of Space and Place (Sam Appleby)
- Walking - art exhibition
- Wrights and Sites - performance artists
- Design Philosophy Papers
Courses and Programs
Geography and the Image: Space, Place and the Politics of Aesthetics (Ken MacDonald)
Place for me
is the locus of desire
The Lure of the Local
- History of Environmental Design (Thompson)
- Identity and Place in Contemporary Art (Don Krug)
- Representations of Place and Space (Bruce Janz, Anne-Marie Link)
- Space, Place and Landscape in Contemporary Art (Shannon Mattern) See also here.
Go to work by (this link may not include all work available by this author; use the search engine above for more):
- Adams, Ann Jensen. "Competing Communities in the "Great Bog of Europe": Identity and Seventeenth-Century Dutch Landscape Painting" in Mitchell, W. J. T. Landscape and Power, 2nd Edition. University of Chicago Press, 1994, 2002.
- Appleton, Jay. The Experience of Landscape. London: John Wiley, 1975.
- Akkach, Samar. "Design and the Question of Eurocentricity." Design Philosophy Papers 6 (2003-4) http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_journal/paper2/dpp_paper2.html
- Barrell, John. The Dark Side of the Landscape: The Rural Poor in English Painting, 1730-1840. Cambridge University Press, 1983.
- Bermingham, Ann. "System, Order, and Abstraction: The Politics of English Landscape Drawing around 1795" in Mitchell, W. J. T. Landscape and Power, 2nd Edition. University of Chicago Press, 1994, 2002.
- Bunn, David. ""Our Wattled Cot": Mercantile and Domestic Space in Thomas Pringle's African Landscapes." in Mitchell, W. J. T. Landscape and Power, 2nd Edition. University of Chicago Press, 1994, 2002.
- Burgin, Victor. In/Different Spaces: Place and Memory in Visual Culture. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1996.
- Carville, Justin. "Re-Negotiated Territory: The Politics of Place, Space and Landscape in Irish Photography." After-Image 29:1 (2001): 5ff.
- Casey, Edward S. "The Place of the Sublime" in Tymieniecka Anna-Teresa, ed. Passion for place. Book II, Between the vital spacing and the creative horizons of fulfilment. Dordrecht; Boston: Kluwer Academic, 1997.
- Chambers, Deborah. "Family as Place: Family Photograph Albums and the Domestication of Public and Private Space." in Schwartz, Joan & James Ryan. Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination. Palgrave Press, 2002.
- Chambers, Kristin. Comfort: reclaiming place in a virtual world: Franz Ackermann, Peter Land, Sarah Morris ... / contributions by Kristin Chambers, Michael Sorkin. Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland Center for Contemporary Art, 2001.
- Colman, Felicity. "Passaic Boys are Hell: Robert Smithson's Tag as Temporal and Spatial Marker of the Geographical Self." http://www.reconstruction.ws/023/colman.htm
- Dickinson, James. "In Its Place: Site and Meaning in Richard Serra's Public Sculpture." in Light, Andrew & Jonathan Smith, eds. Philosophies of Place: Philosophy and Geography III. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999: 45-72.
- Dijkstra, Bram. Georgia O'Keeffe and the Eros of Place. Princeton University Press, 1998.
- Dovey, K. "Putting Geometry in its Place: Toward a Phenomenology of the Design Process." in D. Seamon (Ed.), Dwelling, Seeing and Designing: Toward a Phenomenological Ecology. Albany, New York: SUNY Press, 1993: 247-269.
- Drobnick, Jim. "Toposmia: Art, Scent, and Interrogations of Spatiality." Angelaki: Journal of Theoretical Humanities 7:1 (April 2002): 31-47.
- Edwards, Elizabeth. "Negotiating Spaces: Some Photographic Ideas in the Western Pacific, 1883-1884." in Schwartz, Joan & James Ryan. Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination. Palgrave Press, 2002.
- Ely, Bonita. "The Ancient History of Installation Art." http://home.iprimus.com.au/painless/space/bonita.html
- Fry, Tony. "The Voice of Sustainment - An Introduction" Design Philosophy Papers 1 (2003) http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_journal/feature/dpp_feature.html
- Fry, Tony. "Designing Betwixt Design's Others." Design Philosophy Papers 6 (2003-4) http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_journal/paper5/dpp_paper5.html
- Gregory, Derek. "Emperors of the Gaze: Photographic Practices and Productions of Space in Egypt, 1839-1914." in Schwartz, Joan & James Ryan. Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination. Palgrave Press, 2002.
- Grodach, Carl. "Images of Cities: Interpreting Mural Art in Austin, Texas" http://www.ar.utexas.edu/planning/forum/pdfs/Image%20of%20the%20City.pdf
- Grynsztejn, Madeleine. About Place: Recent Art from the Americas. Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1995.
- Guaitoli, Isabella. "Ambivalent Landscapes." http://www.mindstylemagazine.com/N2_MSM99/Seite1gb3x/ com001gb3x.html
- Gussow, A. A Sense of Place: The Artist and the American Land. San Francisco: Friends of the Earth/Seabury Press, 1972.
- Gussow, Alan. The Artist as Native: Reinventing Regionalism. San Francisco: Pomegranate Books, 1993, 1999.
- Helsinger, Elizabeth. "Turner and the Representation of England." in Mitchell, W. J. T. Landscape and Power, 2nd Edition. University of Chicago Press, 1994, 2002.
- Hotchkiss, Wilhelmina L. "Grounds for Change: Wordsworth, Constable and the Uses of Place." in Burwick, Frederick & Klein, Jurgen, eds. The Romantic Imagination: Literature and Art in England and Germany. Amsterdam, Netherlands : Rodopi, 1996: 176-190.
- Hugunin, James. "From Catop-Tricks to Cliff Dwellings: The Art of Barbara Kasten." Art Criticism 8:2 (1993) http://www.uturn.org/Essays/KASTENpdf.pdf
- James, Geoffrey & Rudy Wiebe. Place. Boston, MA: David R. Godine, Publisher, 2003.
- Kabakov, Ilia Iosifovich. Public projects, or the spirit of a place. Milano : Charta, 2001.
- Kaganov, Grigory. Images of Space: St. Petersburg in the Visual and Verbal Arts. Translated by Sidney Monas. Stanford University Press, 1997.
- Kwon, Miwon. One Place after Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2004.
- Laframboise, A. "Les portraits emblématiques de Bronzino, aux marges des pratiques symboliques consacrées dans les arts visuels." in Tymieniecka, Anna-Teresa, ed. The Elemental Passion for Place in the Ontopoiesis of Life Passions of the Soul in the Imaginatio Creatrix. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
- Lippard, Lucy. The Lure of the Local: Senses of Place in a Multicentered Society. New York: The New Press, 1997.
- Lippard, Lucy. On the Beaten Track: Tourism, Art, and Place. New York: The New Press, 2001.
- Losch, M. "A Vicarious Victory: Cézanne's Paintings of Mont Sainte-Victoire and the Dual Nature of Love." in Tymieniecka, Anna-Teresa, ed. The Elemental Passion for Place in the Ontopoiesis of Life Passions of the Soul in the Imaginatio Creatrix. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
- MacKenzie A.F.D. "Place and the art of belonging." Cultural Geographies 11:2 (April 2004): 115-137.
- Manzini, Enzio. "Scenerios of Sustainable Wellbeing" Design Philosophy Papers 1 (2003) http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_journal/paper1/dpp_paper1.html
- Marchart, Oliver. "Art, Space and the Public Sphere(s). Some basic observations on the difficult relation of public art, urbanism and political theory." http://www.eipcp.net/diskurs/d07/text/marchart_prepublic_en.html
- Martin, David. "Sculpture and Place." Dialectics and Humanism 3(1976): 45-56.
- Mitchell, Timothy F. "Bound by Time and Place: The Art of Caspar David Friedrich," Arts Magazine 61 (1986): 48-53.
- Mitchell, William F. "Epilogue: Wunderkammer to World Wide Web: Picturing Place in the Post-Photographic Era." in Schwartz, Joan & James Ryan. Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination. Palgrave Press, 2002.
- Nsenga, François-Xavier Nzi iyo. "Beyond McWorld Design." Design Philosophy Papers 6 (2003-4) http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_journal/paper3/dpp_paper3.html
- Osborne, Peter. "Non-places and the spaces of art." Journal of Architecture 6:2 (Spring 2001): 183-194.
- O'Shea, Marius Paul. "Wanting Depth: How Pictorial Images are Always Spatial and How We Need Them To Be." http://home.iprimus.com.au/painless/space/pauloshea.html
- Paterson, D. D. "Design, Language, and the Preposition: on the Importance of Knowing One's Position in Place." Trames, vol. 8. Quebec: Faculté de l'aménagement, Université de Montréal, 1993: 74-86.
- Peters, Philip, ed. The Ideal Place. London: Academy Editions; New York: St. Martin's Press.
- Posey, Emma. "Effecting Place." http://hem.passagen.se/mikebode/efplace.html
- Read, Alan. "No Hiding Place" Performance Research 2:3 (Autumn 1997): 65-74. http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/artshum/arts/performance/SITE%20OFFICE/NoHidingPlace.html
- Reeve, Hester. "A Near and Far Map: Site Specific Performance." http://www.lancs.ac.uk/users/philosophy/resources%20rtf%20files/near%20and%20far%20map.pdf
- Reijonen, Kati. "Design and Developing Countries". Design Philosophy Papers 6 (2003-4) http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_journal/paper4/dpp_paper4.html
- Schufreider, Gregory. "Mondrian's Opening: The Space of Painting" http://www.focusing.org/apm_papers/schuf.html
- Schwartz, Joan, James Ryan. Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination. Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
- Seamon, D. "Awareness and Reunion: a Phenomenology of the Person-environment Relationship as Portrayed in the New York Photographs of André Kertész." In L. Zonn (Ed.) Place Images in the Media: Portrayal, Experience, Meaning. Totowa, New Jersey: Rowman and Littlefield, 1990: 87-107. Also as "Toward a Phenomenology of Belonging: The New York Photographs of André Kertész." http://www.arch.ksu.edu/seamon/Kertesz.htm
- Seamon, D. "Using Pattern Language to Identify Sense of Place: American Landscape Painter Frederic Church's Olana as a Test Case." In, R. Selby (Ed.), Coming of Age: Proceedings, Edra, 1990. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Environmental Design Research Association, 1990: 171-179.
The lure of the local is the pull of place that operates on each of us, exposing our politics and our spiritual legacies. It is the geographical component of the psychological need to belong somewhere, one antidote to a prevailing alienation.
Lucy Lippard, The Lure of the Local
- Seamon, D. "A Diary Interpretation of Place: Artist Frederic Church's Olana." In D. G. Jannelle (Ed.), Geographical Snapshots of North America. New York: Guilford Press, 1992: 78-82.
- Schild-Bunim, Miriam. Space in Medieval Painting and the Forerunners of Perspective. New York, 1940.
- Schwartz, Joan & James Ryan. Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination. Palgrave Press, 2002.
- Sidlauskas, Susan. Body, Place, and Self in Nineteenth-Century Painting. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Snyder, Joel. "Territorial Photography." in Mitchell, W. J. T. Landscape and Power, 2nd Edition. University of Chicago Press, 1994, 2002.
- Streisinger, Lotte. "People, Place and Public Art." Places: A Forum of Environmental Design 7(4): 52-57.
- Tyler, Christopher and Amy Ione. "The Concept of Space in Twentieth Century Art." http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyler/Art%20Investigations/C20th%20SPACE/C20thSpace.html
- Tyler, Christopher. "The Rules of Perspective" http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyler/Art%20Investigations/PerspectiveRules/PerspectiveRules.html
- van den Berg, Agnes. "Individual Differences in the Aesthetic Evaluation of Natural Landscapes." Thesis. http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/ppsw/a.e.van.den.berg/thesis.pdf
- van Liere, E. N. "Monet and the Pillars of Nature: Articulation and Embodiment." in Tymieniecka, Anna-Teresa, ed. The Elemental Passion for Place in the Ontopoiesis of Life Passions of the Soul in the Imaginatio Creatrix. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
- Walsh, A. N. "Visualizing histories: experiences of space and place in photographs by Greg Staats and Jeffrey Thomas." Visual Studies 17:1 (April 2002): 37-51.
- Yorke, Malcolm. The Spirit of Place: Nine Neo-Romantic Artists and Their Times. Palgrave Press, 2001.
Updated April 25, 2006
Page Location: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/place/art.htm