Watching a Video
A documentary video or film shown in class is not just an opportunity to catch up on your sleep. Nor is it something to sit passively through. You should have paper ready to take notes. You should try to answer the following questions as you watch:
- Who made the video? What is the title?
- What is the main theme of the video? Is there a thesis that is supported through the video?
- Who are the main people discussed?
- What are the major images discussed (if this is a video on one of the fine arts, or otherwise involves material culture)
- What are the core ideas which contribute to the theme?
- How does the video help us understand the age in question?
- What ideas might be relevant today?
- Are there any "timeless" ideas discussed, in your opinion?