Brave New World? A Defense of Paradise Engineering
The "Irrational" in the Modern: Psychoanalyzing the Modern
- Panic & Hysteria
- Schizophrenia: "withdrawal from reality, delusions and hallucinations, illogical patterns of thinking."
- Angst: "a feeling of anxiety or apprehension, often accompanied by depression"
- Vertigo: "Dread to the extent that I am not afraid of falling over the precipice, but [that I am] throwing myself over." (Sartre, from Kierkegaard, and seen in Alfred Hitchcock)
- Ennui: "listlessness and dissatisfaction resulting from boredom"
- Schadenfreude: "pleasure derived from the misfortune of others"