1. What is really real?
- Is only what we perceive real?
- Is God real? Then we may have to own up to a higher law.
- Are societal groups real? Then they would have a force of their own, apart from the individuals that comprise them.
2. What is the basis for reasoning?
- Is there a universal rationality?
- What counts as logical?
- Is rationality determined completely by non-rational forces: power, self-interest?
- Maybe we call something rational because it gets us what we want.
- Or maybe rationality corresponds to some objective world out there (correspondance).
- Maybe something is rational if it works (pragmatism).
3. What is the basis for meaning?
- Do we decide that something is meaningful because it corresponds to a divine plan?
- Natural order?
- Maybe meaning is just what we make it.
- Maybe we're radically free, and can choose meaning for ourselves.
- Maybe it is imposed on us by society, family, tradition, religion.
4. What is the basis for action?
- What grounds do we have for saying that one action is good and another is not? Pragmatics? Is something right if it "works"?
- Is something right if it follows some law? Where did the law come from?
- Is it right simply because we chose it?