Philosophy in the World's Religions
African Philosophy Resources
African Philosophy Documents: Reviews
- Asante, Molefi K. The Afrocentric Idea Reviewed by Eric Knepper.
- Asante, Molefi K. The Afrocentric Idea Reviewed by Laura Long.
- Asante, Molefi K. The Afrocentric Idea Reviewed by Sarah Niziolek.
- Asante, Molefi K. The Afrocentric Idea Reviewed by Doug Phelan.
- Cooper, Brenda & Andrew Steyn, eds. Transgressing Boundaries: New Directions in the Study of Culture in Africa Reviewed by Kristen Jacobson.
- Eze, Emmanuel. Race and the Enlightenment Reviewed by Andrew Carpenter.
- Eze, Emmanuel. Postcolonial African Philosophy. A Critical Reader. Reviewed by Kai Kresse.
- Frankenberg, Ruth. White Women Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness. Reviewed by Stephanie Austin
- Gibson, Nigel, ed. Rethinking Fanon: The Continuing Dialogue. Reviewed by Jennifer Pen.
- Gordon, Lewis, et. al., Fanon: A Critical Reader Reviewed by Richard Pithouse.
- Anke Graneß & Kai Kresse. Sagacious Reasoning. Henry Odera Oruka in memoriam (Henry Odera Oruka – ein philosophischer Weiser) Reviewed by Niels Weidtmann
- Gyekye, Kwame. African Cultural Values: An Introduction and Tradition and Modernity. Philosophical Reflections on the African Experience (Die Eidechse frißt nicht den Pfeffer, damit der Frosch schwitzt zu Kwame Gyekye). Reviewed byUlrich Lölke.
- Hallen, Barry & J. Olubi Sodipo. Knowledge, Belief and Witchcraft. Analytic Experiments in African Philosophy (Der "Medizinmann" als Kollege) Reviewed by Hans Gerald Hödl.
- James, George. Stolen Legacy Reviewed by Femi Akomolafe. -- more of a description than a review.
- Kamalu, Chukwunyere. Person, Divinity and Nature: A Modern View of the Person and the Cosmos in African Thought Reviewed by Osman Njuguna.
- Kasanene, Peter. Religious Ethics in Africa. Reviewed by Nimi Wariboko.
- Kwame, Safro. Readings in African Philosophy. Reviewed by Peter King.
- Lefkowitz, Mary. Not Out of Africa Reviewed by Martin Bernal.
- Lewis, Rupert. Walter Rodney's Intellectual and Political Thought Reviewed by David Hinds.
- Mamdani, Mahmood. Citizen and Subject: Contemporary Africa and the Legacy of Late Colonialism Reviewed by Michael Chege.
- Mbembe, Achille. On the Postcolony. H-Africa, H-Net Reviews, August 2001. Reviewed by Ato Quayson (Review Title: "Breaches in the Commonplace")
- Mbembe, Achille. On the Postcolony. H-Africa, H-Net Reviews, December 2001. Reviewed by Catherine Coquery-Vidrovitch.
- Mbembe, Achille. On the Postcolony. H-Africa, H-Net Reviews, March, 2002. Reviewed by Bruce Janz
- Masolo, D. A. African Philosophy in Search of Identity Reviewed by Martin Cohen.
- Masolo, D. A. and Ivan Karp, "African Philosophy as Cultural Inquiry" Reviewed by Bruce Janz ("Between the Particular and the Universal: 'Cultural Inquiry' as the Encounter Between Anthropology and Philosophy")
- Mudimbe, V. Y. The Idea of Africa. Reviewed by Kenneth C. Wylie. H-Net Review
- Mudimbe, V. Y. Between Tides. Reviewed by Ralph Dumain.
- Nyang'oro, Julius E. ed. Discourses on Democracy: Africa in Comparative Perspective. Reviewed by Dan Ottemoeller
- Oluwole, Sophie. Philosophy and Oral Tradition Reviewed by Alloy S. Ihuah
- Ramose, Mogobe B. African Philosophy Through Ubuntu. Reviewed by Heinz Kimmerle. Originally published in African Philosophy 13:2(August 2000).
- Sartre, Jean-Paul. Colonialism and Neocolonialism. New York & London: Routledge, 2001. Reviewed by Kofi Ankomah
- Serequeberhan, Tsenay. African Philosophy: The Essential Readings. Reviewed by Peter King.
- Serequeberhan, Tsenay. African Philosophy: The Essential Readings. Reviewed by Ralph Dumain. (Review Title: "African Philosophy, Politics, and the Division of Labor: Reading Essential Readings")
- Sindima, H. Africa's Agenda: The Legacy of Liberalism and Colonialism in the Crisis of African Values. Reviewed by Elizabeth Isichei. H-Net Review
- Wallerstein, Immanuel. Un\thinking White Mythologies: Review Essay on Immanuel Wallerstein, Unthinking Social Science: The Limits of Nineteenth Century Paradigms. Reviewed by Johannes A. Smit.
- West, Cornel. "Philosophy and the Afro-American experience", The Philosophical Forum, vol. 9, nos. 2-3, winter-spring 1977-78, p. 117-148. Reviewed by Ralph Dumain (Review Title: Cornel West's Evasion of Philosophy, or, Richard Wright's Revenge)