Helped With This?
& Resources on Place
I Read First?
Advanced Search in
Research on Place & Space
entries & annotations
Environment, Env. Ethics,
Urban & Regional Theory
and Cyberspace, Presence
Place & Specific
Spirit of Place
of Place" & related terms
Travel, Tourism, Migration, Pilgrimage
Borders, Edges, Liminality
Loss & Decay
simulated. fake, hidden,
Conferences, Other CFP
& Search Engines
Why I did all this
B. Janz: Home Page &
Conferences, Seminars, Events, and Publication
Calls for Papers
CFP = Call for Papers deadline
CONF = Conference dates
General Conference Announcement Resources
- English CFP, UPenn
- H-Net Announcement Page
Upcoming Conferences, Calls for Papers, & Publications
This list of upcoming conferences is not being maintained at the moment. The U-Penn and the H-Net sites are good places to look for current conferences and CFP.
Past Conferences, Calls for Papers, & Publications
- Spatial Justice (University of Paris X-Nanterre, France) CFP: 30 April 2007. CONF: 12-14 March 2008.
- The Street (The 2008 UC Irvine Visual Studies Graduate Student Association Conference) CFP: 1 December 2007. CONF: 29 February - 1 March 2008.
- Built Spaces: Earth-Sky
and Human Praxes (International Association for the Study of Environment,
Space, and Place Annual Conference, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA) CFP: 20 January 2007. CONF: 27-29 April,
- Colonial and Postcolonial Spaces: an Interdisciplinary Conference (Kingston University, Surrey, England) CFP: 31 June 2007. CONF: 6-7 September 2007.
- Defining Space (University College Dublin) CFP: 31 March 2007. CONF: 12-13 October 2007.
- Deleuze and Guattari's Ecophilosophy (Special Issue, Rhizomes) CFP: 15 September 2007.
- Dialogues in Place (Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy) CFP: 2 November 2007 CONF: 5-8 December 2007.
- Flickering Landscapes: Cinematic Representations of the West (Moab, Utah) CFP: 15 March 2007. CONF: 21-22 May, 2007.
- Geographies of Visual and Literary Cultures (The Westin, Long Beach, CA) CONF: 1-4 November 2007.
- History of Cartography (Berne, Switzerland) CFP: 1 October 2007. CONF: 8-13 July 2007.
- Iconic Places and Characters in 20th Century American Cultures (St. Cloud State University, Minnesota) CFP: 30 March 2007. CONF: 18-19 October 2007.
- From House to Home: Representations in Victorian Literature and Art CFP: 10 January 2007.
- The Idea of the City: Early modern, Modern, and Post-Modern Locations and Communities (University of Northampton, UK) CFP: 31 March 2007. CONF: 8-9 June 2007.
- Imaginary Cities: Fictions of Space in the Early Modern World (Penn State) CONF: 13-14 April 2007.
- Imaging Place (INVENT-L Conference,
Gainesville, FL) CFP: 1 June 2006. CONF: 23-24 February 2007.
- Life in
Motion; Shifting Spaces, Transcending Times, Crossing Borders: Postgraduate Conference (School of Social Studies, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic) CFP: 31 January 2007.
CONF: 28-30 June 2007.
- Live the
Life You Have Imagined: Writing, A Sense of Place and Making a Life in Nature (13th Annual Robinson Jeffers Association Conference, University of Hawai'i, Honolulu) CFP: 30 November 2006 CONF:
16-18 February 2007.
Photography (Durham University, UK). CFP: 1 November 2006
CONF: 20-22 September 2007.
- Mapping Islamic Jerusalem: A Rediscovery of Geographical Boundaries (Shaikh Rashid Conference Hall, Al-Maktoum Institute for Arabic and Islamic Studies, Dundee, Scotland) CFP: 30 March 2007. CONF: 1 June 2007.
- Metamorphosis and Place (Fatih University, Turkey) CFP: 15 December 2006. CONF: 24-26 May, 2007.
- Moving Cultures, Shifting Identities: a conference about migration, connection, heritage and cultural memory (Flinders University, Australia) CFP: 12 March 2007. CONF: 3-5 December 2007.
- Museum Spaces (Roundtable, MOCA MAAS, Maastricht, Netherlands) CONF: 21 January 2007.
- Nature,Space and the Sacred: Transdisciplinary Perspectives (Bamburg, Germany) CFP: 1 March 2007. CONF: 24-26 May 2007.
- No Direction Home: Re-imagining Jewish Geography (Berman Center for Jewish Studies, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA). CONF: 25-26 March 2007.
- On Choreographies in Music, Visual and Performing Arts, and Environmental Design (Markgraf-Ludwig-Gymnasium,
Baden-Baden) CFP: 30 March 2007. CONF: 30 July - 3 August 2007.
of Land (Foerderverein fuer Vergleichende Ueberseegeschichte,
University Hamburg, Germany) CFP: 30 June 2006. CONF: 1-3 June 2007.
- Place and Power (The Australian & New Zealand Communication Association Conference, Wellington, New Zealand) CONF: 9-11 July 2008.
- The Politics
of Space: Courts in Europe and the Mediterranean, ca.1500-1750 (Huntington Library, San Marino, CA) CONF: 26-27 January 2007.
- The Promise of Place: Place-Based Education in New England and Beyond (Fairlee, VT) CFP: 15 November 2006. CONF: 15-17 March 2007.
Space: Text and Context (Mohamed I University, Oujda, Morocco)
CFP: 15 December 2006. CONF: 15-16 March 2007.
- Queer Space (English Language Notes , Fall/Winter 2007) CFP: 1 April 2007.
Poetics and Ethics in Architecture (McGill University School
of Architecture, Montreal) CFP: 1 October 2006. CONF: 14-15 September 2007.
- Re-Mapping Cities: Gendered Performances of Urban Lives (Book CFP) CFP: 30 April 2007.
- Re:Place 2007: On the Histories of Media, Art, Science, and Technology (Berlin) CFP: 15 January 2007. CONF: 15-18 November 2007.
- Rhetoric of Space(s), Place(s) and Time(s) (University of Redlands, California) CFP: 5 May 2007. CONF: 18-19 January 2008.
- Shifting Positions: Bodies in Space (UC Riverside) CFP: 8 January 2007. CONF: 3 February 2007.
- Social Space and Geographic Space (Melbourne, Australia) CFP: 30 April 2007. CONF: 19 September 2007.
- Spatial Information Theory: COSIT'07 (Melbourne, Australia) CFP: 2 March 2007. CONF: 19-23 September 2007.
- Space and Discipline(s) (Miami, Ohio) CFP: 1 February 2007. CONF: 31 March 2007.
- Spatial Americas (UC Santa Barbara) CFP: 22 January 2007. CONF: 19-20 April 2007.
- Spatializing the Missionary Encounter. The Interaction Between Missionary Work and Space in Colonial Settings (Belgium Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)) CFP: 31 December 2006 CONF: 22-24 November 2007.
- The "Spatial Turn" and the History of Education. (Universitaet Hamburg). CFP: 30 November 2006. CONF: 25-27 July 2007.
- Things That Move: The Material Worlds of Tourism and Travel (Leeds, UK) CFP: 23 March 2007. CONF: 19-23 July 2007.
- Trends in Toponymy: Indigenous Identity and Theoretical Developments in Placenames Research (University of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia). CFP: 30 March 2007. CONF: 26-30 November 2007.
- Utopian Spaces, Utopian Places (Fourth Annual English Department Graduate Conference at Brandeis University) CFP: 31 December 2006. CONF: 9 March 2007.
Open Spaces (City University of New York Graduate Center)
CFP: 1 December 2006. CONF: March 30, 2007.
on the move: refugees, migration, and exile (University
of the West of England, Bristol) CFP: 5 March 2007. CONF: 23 June 2007.
- World Building: Space and Community (3rd Annual UF Games and Digital Media Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL) CFP: 1 January 2007. CONF: 1-2 March 2007.
Landscape An Inter-disciplinary Symposium for Scholars in the Arts and Humanities (Stewart House, University College London) CFP: 31 October 2006. CONF: Monday, 19 March
Public Cultures: Space, Performance, and Identity (Mid-America
American Studies Association Conference) CFP: 15 January 2006. CONF: 7-8 April 2006.
- Annie Proulx
and the Geographical Imagination: Rethinking Regionalism, Place, and the Local (Book CFP: 1 November 2006).
- Architecture and Situated
Technologies (New York) CONF: 19-21 October 2006.
the Flow (Comparative Literature Grad Conference, Northwestern
University) CFP: 1 December 2005 CONF: 14-15 April 2006.
Crossings and Boundary Definitions (Postgraduate Conference, University
of New Hampshire) CFP: 1 December 2005 CONF: 31 March - 1 April, 2006.
- Boundaries (Postgraduate Conference, Longborough University, UK) CFP: 15 February 2006. CONF: 3 June
- The City (Canadian Historical Association, York University) CFP: 31 October 2005 CONF: 29-31 May
- The City,
Comparatively (Canadian Comparative Literature Association) CFP:
15 February 2006. CONF: 28-30 May 2006.
- Close Relations: The ‘Spaces’
of Greek and Roman Theatre (University of Melbourne, Australia)
CFP: 10 April 2006. CONF: 19-23 September 2006.
- Conflux 2006 (Psychogeography Conference, New York) CFP: 10 April 2006 CONF: 14-17 September 2006.
of Ancient Space Seminar - ongoing seminar.
Spaces: Religion and Spatiality (Radical History Review Special
Issue) CFP: 1 September 2005 FINAL PAPERS: 15 January 2006.
- Dangerous Places,
Potential Spaces: Emerging Feminist Connections and Activisms in Local and Global Contexts. (University of Maryland-College Park) CFP: 1 March 2006. CONF: 24-26 May 2006.
Spaces (Graduate Association of French and Italian Students 19th
Annual Symposium, University of Wisconsin-Madison) CFP: 15 December 2005. CONF: 30 March - 1 April 2006.
and Locations: Exploring the Multiple Identities of Place (CIRM
2006, Manchester Metropolitan University Business School) CFP: 8 May 2006 CONF: 6-7 September 2006.
The Places and Spaces of Fashion (Book CFP) CFP: 16 June 2006.
- Emerging Spaces,
Transforming Scapes: Intersections 2006: A Graduate Student Creative Conference
(York University, Canada) CFP: 20 January 2006. CONF: 24-26 March 2006.
- Emotional Geographies (Queen's University, Kingston, Canada) CFP: 15 August 2005. CONF: 25-27 May 2006.
Borderlands, and Border Culture (California State University,
Stanislaus) CFP: 1 November 2005. CONF: 16-18 March 2006.
Home (Interdisciplinary Grad Conference, CUNY Graduate Center)
CFP: 10 October 2006. CONF: 3-4 November 2006.
- “Every region
neere”: Explorations in gendered, generic, historical, and geographic regions, 1500-1700. Book CFP: 15 March 2006.
- Festivals and Identities: People,
Places and Programmes (15th IFEA Europe Conference, Belfast, Northern
Ireland). CONF: 15-17 March 2006.
- Forging the
Local and the Global: Textual Translation and Migration (Stellenbosch
University, South Africa) CFP: 28 February 2006 (papers), 30 November 2005 (panels). CONF: 9-12 July 2006.
Cities - An Interdisciplinary Conference (Liverpool Hope University,
Liverpool, UK) CFP: 28 February 2006 CONF: 29th-30th June 2006.
- Globalization: Reconfigurings
of World Space (Towson University, MD) CFP: 10 February 2006 CONF:
28-30 April 2006.
- Going Underground:
Excavating the Subterranean City (University of Durham, Manchester)
CFP: 17 December 2005. CONF: 21-22 September 2006.
of Traffic, Transportation and Mobility (4th International Conference,
Paris & Marne-la-Vallée, France) CFP: 31 March 2006. CONF: 28 Sept. - 1 Oct. 2006.
- Home and Abroad: Transnational
**England**, 1750-1850 (A One-Day, Summer Conference at Holywell
Manor, Oxford University) CFP: 26 May 2006. CONF: 28 July 2006.
- Home/lessness (Special Issue, Locus Suspectus) CFP: 30 April 2006.
Re-Thinking Tradition In Tourism And Travel (Thammasat University,
Bangkok, Thailand). CONF: 15–18 December 2006.
- The Image of Maps •
Maps of the Imagination (Ashmolean Museum, Oxford University)
CFP: 12 January 2006. CONF: 13 May 2006.
- Imagining Environments:
Navigating Space and Place in the Early Atlantic World (The Second
James L. and Shirley A. Draper Graduate Student Conference on Early American Studies at the University of Connecticut
and Mystic Seaport) CFP: 5 May 2006. CONF: 28-30 September, 2006.
- In the City
& On the Road: Stasis and Mobility in the Twentieth Century
(University of South Carolina) CFP: 6 January 2006. CONF: 25-26 March 2006.
Emerging Spaces, Transforming Scapes (Graduate Conference, York
& Ryerson) CFP: 20 January 2006. CONF: 24-26 March 2006.
Disconnection, solitude and seclusion in a connected world (University
of Tasmania, Hobart) CFP: n.a. CONF: 14-16 December 2006.
- Journeys of Expression V: Tourism
and the Roots / Routes of Religious Festivity (Belfast, Northern
Ireland) CFP: 13 February 2006. CONF: 13-15 March 2006.
Nomadic Imagination and Transnational Spaces in the New Europe / Latitude(s): Imaginaires nomades et espaces transnationaux
dans l'Europe. A Proposed Exploratory Workshop of the European Sciences Foundation Strasbourg, France (approval
pending). (Universite de Cergy-Pontoise, Centre de Recherche Texte
et Histoire) CFP: 30 June 2005. CONF: 7-8 December, 2006.
- The Lie of the Land: Scottish Landscape
and Culture (Centre for Scottish Studies, University of Stirling,
Scotland) CFP: 1 February 2006. CONF: 27-30 July 2006.
with Wilderness: Community and Nature in the Adirondacks A Symposium on Adirondack Environmental History (Adirondack Museum, Lake Placid Hilton Resort) CONF: Friday, September 29, 2006.
Global, and Glocal: Shifting Borders and Hybrid Identities (University
of Arizona) CFP: 1 February 2006. CONF: 6-9 April, 2006.
- Making Space:
Leisure, Tourism and Renewal (Annual Conference of the Leisure
Studies Association, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK) CONF: 11-13 July 2006.
- The Map and the Territory:
Maps and Landscapes in Fantasy (Mythcon 37, University of Oklahoma)
CFP: 15 April 2006. CONF: 4-7 August 2006.
Globalization (Globalisierung aus kulturwissenschaftlicher Perspektive,
Universität Mannheim) CFP: 30 September 2005 CONF: 18-20 May 2006.
- Mobilities in Transit:
Rethinking the artefacts, images and surroundings of human motion and movability
(Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), in Trondheim, Norway) CONF: 14-17 June 2006.
in the Space Between, 1914-1945 (The Space Between: Literature
and Culture, 1914-1945, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA) CFP: 15 December 2005 CONF: 8-11 June 2006.
- The Moving Americans Conference:
Interdisciplinary Conversations on Internal Migration (University
of Washington, Seattle) CONF: 4-6 May 2006.
that Come out of the Earth: Ecocritical Readings of Irish Texts.
Book CFP: 28 February 2006.
Worlds. Spaces of Transition. (Bucharest, Romanian Association
for American Studies) CFP: 15 September 2005. CONF: 2-3 February 2006.
- New Directions
in Children's Geographies (Centre for Children and Youth, The
University of Northampton) CFP: 31 March 2006. CONF: 7-8 September 2006.
Geographies: Space and the British Novel, 1660-1900 (Book CFP)
CFP: 20 Dec. 2006.
- On the Beach: Liminal
Spaces in Historical and Cultural Contexts (Institute of Advanced
Studies, University of Western Australia) CFP: 10 April 2006. CONF: 17 May 2006.
in Native American History, Literature and Culture (Swansea University)
CFP: 28 February 2006. CONF: 29-31 March 2006.
- Politics and
Place in Modern Russia: A Conference Honoring the Career of Abbott Gleason
(The Watson Institute for International Studies at Brown University, Providence Rhode Island) CFP: 15 August 2005
CONF: 24-25 March, 2006.
Nation, Frontiers The Eleventh International Conference on the
Literature of Region and Nation (Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS) CFP: 14 February 2006 CONF: 28-31 July
- Researching Cultural Spaces (Royal Holloway and Queen Mary Geography Departments, 11 Bedford Square, Bloomsbury, London).
CONF: 3 June 2006.
of Passage: Exploring changes in the travel motif (University
of Delhi, Delhi) CFP: 15 February 2006. CONF: 2-4 March 2006.
- Sacred Space (13th Conference of the International Society for Religion, Literature and Culture, University
of Stirling, Scotland) CFP: 1 April 2006. CONF: 20 – 22 October, 2006.
- Senses of Place: exploring
concepts and expressions of place through different senses and lenses
(University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia) CFP: 11 November 2005 CONF: 6-8 April 2006.
- Sexuality and Space:
New Directions (DePaul, Chicago) CFP: 15 November 2005. CONF:
6 March 2006.
- Sexuality out of place. graduate conference on sexuality studies (Earlham College) CFP: 30 November 2005 CONF: 31 March - 1 April 2006.
/ Site-ings of the African City (WISER, Johannesburg, SA)
CONF: 14 June 2006.
- Shaping Space:
Textiles as Architecture and Archaeology (Textile
Journal Special Issue) CFP: 1 January 2006.
- Space as a Category
of Analysis: New Perspectives (Brown University Graduate Conference)
CFP: 15 January 2006. CONF: 7-8 April 2006.
- Space Exploration
Within and Beyond the Image The 10th Annual Expanding the Visual Field Graduate Student Symposium (Department of Art History, University of Southern California) CFP: 16 January 2006. CONF:
4 March 2006.
- Space, Haunting, Discourse (Dept. of English, Karlstad University, Sweden) CFP: 15 March 2005. CONF: 15-18 June 2006.
- Space of a Garden
– Space of Culture (Institute of the Theory of Literature,
Theatre and Audio-Visual Arts, Uniwersytet Lódzki [the University of Lódz']) CFP: February 2006.
CONF: 13-15 May 2006.
- Spaces of Conflict (SFSU Cinema Studies Graduate Association Conference) CFP: 17 July 2006. CONF: 2-3 November
- Spaces of Dissent:
The Borders of Transnational Dreams (Marxist Reading Group, University
of Florida) CFP: 13 January 2006. CONF: 30 March - 1 April, 2006).
- Spatial Justice (Critical Planning Journal CFP) CFP: 15 December 2006.
in 18th Century Gardens: The Influence of Intellectual and Esoteric Currents, such as Freemasonry. (Schloss Schwetzingen, Germany) CONF: 28-29 September 2006.
and Temporalities of the Human (ACLA 2006 Annual Meeting, Princeton
University) CFP: 30 November 2005. CONF: March 23-26, 2006.
Spaces and Places: Exploring Boundaries, Borders, and Intersections
(Graduate Conference, Fordham University, New York) CFP: 15 May 2006 CONF: 6-8 October 2006.
- The travel:
a space of knowledge and cultural communication (The “Gheorghe
Sincai” Institute for Social Sciences and the Humanities of the Romanian Academy) CONF: 9 June 2006.
Migration, and Mobility in the Asia-Pacific (Special issue of
the Graduate Journal of Asia-Pacific Studies:
'Navigating the Future: Asia-Pacific pathways.') CFP: 28 February 2006.
- Travel, Travel Writing and
Food Colloquium (Trinity College, Oxford) CFP: 15 February 2006.
CONF: 1 April 2006.
Tourism, and Resorts in the Nineteenth Century (19th Century Studies
Association, Salisbury University, Salisbury, Maryland) CFP: 14 October 2005 CONF: 16-18 March 2006.
Writing (Borders and Crossings Conference, Palermo, Italy) CFP:
15 December 2005 CONF: 7-9 September 2006.
- Traveling to New Worlds: Immigration, Emigration and the Experience of Wales (Gregynog Hall, Newtown, Powys, Wales) CONF:
7-9 April 2006.
mobility, flows, transgression (Brandeis University) CFP: 31 December
2005. CONF: 10 March 2006.
- Urban Intercessions: The City as Limit Politics (Qui Parle Special Issue) CFP: 15 December 2006.
Geographies (Research Society for Victorian Periodicals Annual
Conference) CFP: 1 February 2006. CONF: September 14-15, 2006.
- Being in
the World, Living with the Land (ASLE Conference, University of
Oregon) CFP: 1 February 2005 CONF: 21-25 June 2005.
and Between: Place & Cultural Translation (Queen's University,
Belfast, Ireland) CFP: 30 January 2005. CONF: 8-10 April 2005.
Imperial Centre and Colonial Periphery: Reconnecting the Global and the Local
(Cambridge, England) CONF: 11-12 March 2005.
and Borderlands (Corfu and Epirus) CONF: 26 September - 1 October
and Boundaries (University of Glasgow) CFP: 22 November 2004 CONF:
21 January 2005.
- The Car in History:
Business, Space and Culture in North America (Department of History
and Munk Centre for International Studies, University of Toronto) CFP: 30 September 2004. CONF: 20-21 May 2005.
Cities EnterText 5.2 Journal CFP: 1 July 2005.
- The City and
Urban Life - Encyclopedia CFP, to be released in 2005.
- College English
Assocation National Conference (Indianapolis, Indiana) CFP: 1
November 2004. CONF: 31 March - 2 April 2005 - general theme of "spaces".
- The Commonwealth
Around Us: Interpreting Our Spaces and Places (Massechusetts Foundation
for the Humanities) CONF: 6 June 2005.
- Cosmopolitanism and Place: The Designs of Resistance (Centre for Social Theory and Design, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia) CONF:
21-22 October 2005.
Over: Learning to Navigate the Borderlands of Intercultural Encounters
(Cultural Crossings, Humanities Consortium, Cleveland State University) CFP: 29 April 2005. CONF: 6-9 October 2005.
- Cultural Futures: Place,
Ground and Practice in Asia Pacific New Media Arts. (Hoani Waititi,
Auckland / Tamaki Makaurau) 1-5 December, 2005.
- Culture Lines: Emerging
Research on Ethno-Racial Boundaries (Harvard University) CFP:
1 August 2005. CONF: 4-5 November 2005.
- Cultures of Looking: The Metropolis
in Transition 1 October 2004 - 1 January 2005.
- Decolonizing Spaces (Resources for Feminist Research/Documentation sur la Recherche Feministe) CFP: 15 September
- Defining Regions:
Public Historians and the Culture and Meaning of Region (National
Council on Public History, Kansas City, MO) CFP: 15 March 2004. CONF: 14-17 April 2005.
- Doing, thinking, feeling home: the mental geography
of residential environments (OTB Research Institute for Housing,
Urban and Mobility StudiesDelft University of Technology, the Netherlands) CFP: 18 July 2005. CONF: 14-15 October
- The Dromocratic Condition: Contemporary Cultures of Acceleration (see
also here) (University of Newcastle upon Tyne) CFP: 23 December 2004.
CONF: 12-13 March 2005.
Matters: Imagination and Practice in Sci-Arts Eco-Cultures (Arts
Culture Nature 2005, University of Washington Bothell) CFP: 30 Oct. 2004. CONF: 19-21 May 2005.
- Embodiment and Environment (Westminster Institute, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK) CONF: 5-8 July 2005.
- Gender Roomours:
Gender and Space. Gender
Forum. CFP: 15 September, 2005.
- A Geography
of the Mind: Architecture, Landscape and the Imaginative Reconstruction of the Past.
15th International James Fenimore Cooper Conference & Seminar, SUNY Oneonta. CFP: 31 March 2005. CONF: June
13 - 17, 2005.
- Groundwork: Space and Place in American Cultures
(American Studies Association, Washington DC) CFP: 28 January 2005 CONF: 3-6 November 2005.
Takes Place": European Sites of Memory - Wroclaw 2005 CFP:
31 March 2005. Summer Course: 15-24 July, 2005.
A Visual Studies Conference (UC Irvine, California) CFP: 20 January
2005 CONF: 4-5 March 2005.
Memory, and Narrative: Re-membering Place, Dis-Membering Home
CFP: 27 May 2005 CONF: 30 September - 1 October 2005.
Sanctums and Outer Spaces (University of Alberta Medieval and
Early Modern Institute Grad Conference) CONF: 8-9 December 2005.
- International Rural
Network IVth Conference and Exchange of Experience. Innovative Place-Based Services for the New Rural Economy (Abingdon, Virginia) CONF: 19-25 June 2005.
- Land and
Landscape in 19th Century Ireland. (Mary Immaculate College, University
of Limerick) CFP: 30 Sept. 2004. CONF: 17-19 June 2005.
and Identity. St. Louis University Madrid Campus CFP: 28 April
2005; CONF: 3-4 June 2005.
- Landscape, Environment
and Human Agency in the City since 1700. (Urban History Group
Annual Conference, University of Leicester). CONF: 7-8 April 2005.
- Library as Place (Special Issue of Library Quarterly) 1 February 2005.
- Makom: Ort und Ortum
in Judentum (The Interplay between Real and Imagined Places in Judaism and Jewish Culture) (Potsdam, Germany) CFP: 30 November 2004.
CONF: 26-29 June 2005.
- Mapping Uncertain
Territories. Space and Place in Contemporary Theatre and Drama
(University of Bremen). CFP: 31 Dec. 2004. CONF: 2-5 June 2005.
- Medieval Domesticity:
Homes, Housing, and Household (25th Annual Conference, Center
for Medieval Studies, Fordham University, NY) CFP: 18 October 2004. CONF: 12-13 March 2005.
Passages: The Oceanic Voyage as Social Process (University of
Western Australia, Perth, Australia) CFP: 31 December 2004. CONF: 13-16 July 2005.
Gardens: Waterless Lands and the Problem of Adaptation (Humanities
Research Centre, The Australian National University, Canberra) CONF: 29-31 March 2005.
Gardens: Conference Three (CRASSH/ University Botanic Garden,
Cambridge) CONF: 8-10 July 2005.
Resonating Places (Sage
of Consciousness E-zine Journal Issue) CFP: 10 October 2005.
- Muslims' Experience
of Globalization (Georgia State University) CFP: 30 Sept. 2004.
CONF: 1-2 April 2005.
19th Century Spaces (Graduate Student Literature Conference At
the University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC) CFP: 15 December 2004. CONF: 11-12 March 2005.
- New Orleans
and Other Urban Calamities (Space
and Culture: The International Journal of Social Spaces Journal Issue)
CFP: 1 October 2005.
Worlds Reflected: Representations of Utopia, the New World and Other Worlds, 1500-1800 (Birkbeck College, London) CFP: 20 May 2005. CONF: 9 December 2005.
e Spazio: Fenomenologia dell'oggetto, forma e cosa, dal XIV al XVII secolo
(Objects and Space: Phenomenology of object, form and thing from XIV to XVII Century) (Perugia - Todi (Italy),
University of Perugia.) CONF: September 8-10, 2005.
Space (University of Southern California 18th Annual AEGS (Association
of English Graduate Students) Conference) CFP: 15 December 2004 CONF: 2-3 April 2005.
- People, Places and Parks:
Preservation for Future Generations (George Wright Society Bienniel
Conference on Parks, Protected Areas and Cultural Sites, Philadelphia, PA) CFP: 8 October 2004. CONF: 14-18 March
- Place and Displacement
in Jewish History and Memory - Zakor v’Makor (Cape Town) 3-5 January
and Memory in the New Ireland (European Federation of Associations
and Centres of Irish Studies, Gothenburg University, Sweden) CFP: 1 June 2005 CONF: 8-10 December 2005.
- Place: Location and Belonging
in New Media Contexts Book CFP, in conjunction with Cultural Futures: Place, Ground and Practice
in Asia Pacific New Media Arts. (Hoani Waititi, Auckland / Tamaki
Makaurau) 1-5 December, 2005. CFP: 14 October 2005.
- Place, Space,
Emergence (Special Issue of Western Folklore) CFP: 30 September
History Conference (11th Biennial Conference of the Society for American City and
Regional Planning History, Coral Gables, Florida) CFP: 15 February 2005
CONF: 20-23 October 2005.
- Political Space in Pre-Industrial Europe
(University of Warwick) CONF: 3-6 November 2005.
- The Promise of Place Conference: Place-Based Education in the Northern Forest Region
(Jackson, NH) CONF: 17-19 November 2005.
- Public and Private in Urban
Spaces (New York Metro American Studies Association (NYMASA))
CFP: 2 May 2005. CONF: 29 Oct. 2005.
in Space (Puppetry International
Magazine) Journal CFP: 15 December 2005.
- Race and Place:
Borderlands and Boundaries CFP: 31 October 2004. CONF: 10-12 March
Territorialities Book CFP: 15 August 2005 FINAL PAPERS: 15 Nov.
- Reconceptualizing the
History of the Built Environment in North America (Charles Warren
Center for Studies in American History, Harvard) CONF: 29-30 April. 2005.
Place, Dis-Membering Home (EMAPS: English, Media Studies, and
Art History Postgraduate Society, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia) CFP: 27 May 2005 CONF: 30th September
- 1 October 2005.
Space in the Renaissance (Postgraduate Conference, University
of Warwick) CONF: 28 July 2005. See also here.
of Place in Literature: Issues in the Field (Northeast Modern
Language Association Conference, Boston) CFP: 15 Sept. 2004. CONF: 31 March - 2 April 2005.
- The Rise of the Heterotopia: On Public Space and the Architecture of the Everyday in a
Post-Civil Society. pdf version - more complete description (Leuven,
Belgium) CFP: 1 October 2004. CONF: 26-28 May 2005.
- Settings for Collaboration:
The Role of Place (9th European Conference on Computer Supported
Co-operative Work, Paris, France) CFP: 20 June 2005 CONF: 18-22 September 2005.
- Society for Utopian
Studies Annual Conference (Memphis, Tennessee) CFP: 15 July 2005
CONF: 27-30 October 2005.
- The Space
of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland (Book CFP: 1 October 2005).
Space and Transmigrations (Center for Humanities, Arts and Technoscience,
SUNY Albany New York) CFP: 8 February 2005. CONF: 15-17 April 2005.
- Symbolic Meanings of Spaces/Places (International Association for the Study of Environment, Space, and Place, Towson University,
Maryland) CFP: 10 February 2005 CONF: 29 April-1 May 2005.
- Thinking Space in Early Modern England
(University of Warwick) CONF: 5 March, 2005.
- A Time for Place (CELA 2005 Conference (Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture, University of Georgia,
Athens, Georgia) CFP: 5 November 2004 CONF: 21-25 Sept. 2005. Full cfp here.
- Toward Carfree Cities
V (Budapest, Hungary) CONF: 18-21 July 2005.
and Public Space (Leuven, Belgium) CONF: 21-23 September 2005.
Traffic: Representing Urban and Suburban Spaces (Third Annual
Postgraduate Conference, Department of English, University of Dundee) CFP: 1 May 2005 CONF: 25 June 2005. See also
- The Urban Space in
the Medieval Europe (Seminar of Medieval Studies of Najera, Spain)
CONF: 26-29 July 2005.
- Urban Spaces in Japan: The
Social Scientific Study of Japan and the "Spatial Turn" (German Association for Social Science Research on Japan Conference, Adam-Stegerwald-Haus in Königwinterm,
Bonn) CONF: 18-20 November 2005.
- Walking as Knowing as
Making: A Peripatetic Investigation of Place (University of Illinois,
Champaign) Spring 2005 (Symposium Series)
- Walking in the 21st Century (6th Annual Conference, Zurich, Switzerland) CONF: 22-23 September 2005.
- When Away Becomes Home: Cultural Consequences
of Migration 10th International Cultural Studies Symposium (Ege
University, Turkey) CFP: 17 January 2005. CONF: May 4-6, 2005.
and Place (English Dept., Rutgers University) CFP: 1 Dec. 2004.
CONF: 21-23 April 2005.
Representation, and Space in 19th and 20th Century Literature
Book CFP: 1 Feb. 2005.
Representation, and Space in Contemporary Literature Book CFP:
15 July 2005.
- World Congress of Architecture (XXII, Istanbul, Turkey) CFP: 13 Sept. 2004. CONF: 30 June - 10 July 2005.
- A Sense
of Place: Identity and the Built Environment in Southwest England.
University of the West of England, 10 July 2004.
and Race (Social Identities CFP: 9 January, 2004)
of Philosophy (CongressCATH, University of Leeds) July 2004
- Art and the
Fragmentation of Urban Space: Gated Communities, Global Links, and Non-Places
(University of San Diego, California) CONF: 11 Nov. 2004.
Spaces. The Cultural Shaping of Architectural and Urban Spaces/Gebaute Räume. Zur kulturellen Formung von
Architektur und Stadt. An Interdisciplinary Conference of Architecture
(BTU Cottbus) and Cultural Studies (Humboldt-Universitt zu Berlin) - Cottbus, 23-25 June 2004.
- The City in
Art International Conference (Warsaw & Cracow, Poland) CFP:
31 March 2004. CONF: Sept. 2004.
- City Limits? The European
City, 1400-1900. (University of Manitoba) 1-2 Oct, 2004.
- Cities of Memory:
Urban Space and the Nazi Past in Postwar Germany Book CFP: 15
of the Mind (University of Toronto, Canada) 22-23 January 2004
et espace public/Citizenship and Public Space: Le Congrès
de la Société Canadienne d’Anthropologie de 2004/ 2004 Conference of the Canadian Anthropology Society
(University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario) 6-9 May 2004.
Ideas, Identity, and Place. (Canadian Society for the Study of
Rhetoric, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada) May 2004
- Constructing Race:
The Built Environment, Minoritization, and Racism in the United States.
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign 5-6 March 2004.
Borders: Histories, Theories and Identities. (Centre for Border
Studies, University of Glamorgan, Wales) 2-4 December 2004. See here for CFP.
- Crossroads in Cultural
Studies 2004 (University of Illinois Urbana) 25-28 June 2004.
Sessions include: Mobility, Social Space, Culture, and Power; The Critical Legacy of Pierre Bourdieu: Towards a
Critical Appreciation; Space and Culture: Everyday Life in Cultural Studies
- [CTRL] Controlling Bodies/Controlling
Spaces (McGill University, Montreal) 22-23 October 2004.
- Cultural Places and
Natural Spaces: Memory, History, and Landscape (American Society
of Environmental Historians and the National Council on Public History Conference) 31 March- 4 April, 2004. Another announcement
of the meeting.
- Defining Boundaries (Southwest Regional/Phi Alpha Theta Southwest Regional Conference, Arizona State University,
Tempe Arizona) 31 January 2004.
- The Essence
of Place: African American History in the Midwest (Hoover Presidential
Library-Museum, West Branch, Iowa) 14 February 2004
- Ethics in Place: Architecture,
Memory, and Environmental Poetics (Arizona State University) 5-6
- Gender and Diversity
in Place (University of Arizona) 27-30 May 2004
of the 18th Century: The Question of the Global (Indiana University)
1 May 2004
- Global Babel:
Interdisciplinarity, Transnationalism and the Discourses of Globalization
(Anthology CFP) 1 March 2004.
Spaces Symposium (University of Stirling, Scotland) CONF: 4th
- The Healthy
Community & the Built Environment (39th International Making
Cities Livable Conference, Sarasota, Florida) 15-19 March 2004.
- How To
Turn A Place Around (Project for Public Spaces, New York) CONF:
28-29 October, 2004.
- Imagining Diasporas: Space,
Identity, and Social Change (University of Windsor) 14-16 May
the City (Cambridge, UK) 30 July-1 August 2004
- Interface: Cultural Mediations
in Theory, Practice and Context (Cultural Mediations Program,
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada) 30 April - 1 May 2004
of Place and Literature Book CFP 15 August 2004.
- Kulturelle Oekonomien
als *Geschmackslandschaften" - Figurationen der europaeischen Staedtekonkurrenz
(Vienna) 18-19 June 2004
- Landscape, Environment,
and Human Agency in the City Since 1700 (University of Leicester)
CFP: 17 December 2004
of the Heart, Expanded Edition. 15 December 2004
and the Photograph - (Mosaic, University of Manitoba) 11-13 March
Location, Location: The Significance of Place in Film and Video.
Book CFP: n.d., 2004.
- The Making of Contemporary
European Cities: An Environmental History (University of Siena,
Italy) 24-27 June 2004.
- Microspace and Larger World/Die grosse Welt im kleinen Raum. Städtische Kommunikationsräume
in der Frühen Neuzeit''. (Deutscher Historikertag in Kiel)
CONF: September 2004.
- Mind the GaP: The ‘governance
of place’ and the ‘spatiality of governance’ in the new millennium
(Nijmegen School of Management, University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands) 3-4 June 2004.
- Mobile Boundaries/Rigid
Worlds (Australia) CONF: 27-28 Sept. 2004.
and Repose: Place, Memory, and Sociality in Chinese and Japanese Gardens
(California) CONF: 3-4 December 2004
of "Home" in South Asian Literature (SOAS) 24-25 June
- The Nineteenth
Century Suburb and Beyond (Royal Holloway College, University
of London) 1-2 April 2004
- Open Space: People
Space: An International Conference on Inclusive Environments (Edinburgh,
Scotland) 27–29 October, 2004
- Pentecostalism and
the Body (Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI) 11-13 March 2004
- Photography and Place:
Home-Neighbourhood-Nation-World (Newport, RI, Society for Photographic
Education) 25-28 March 2004
and Memory in the New Ireland. (Gothenburg University, Sweden)
CFP: 1 June 2005. CONF: 8-10 December 2005.
- Planning Models and the Culture of Cities (International Planning History Conference, Barcelona, Spain) 14-17 July 2004
- Playing with Mother
Nature: Video Games, Space, and Ecology (Book CFP) 1 November
- The Politics
of Cultural Memory. (Manchester Metropolitan University) CFP:
16 April 2004. CONF: 5-6 November 2004
- (Post) Conflict
and the Remaking of Place and Space: Economies, Institutions and Networks
(Sudan) 1 June 2004
- The Promise of Place Conference
Travel III: Travel Writing, Writing About Travel Writing, Questioning Ourselves
(San Francisco) 27-30 May 2004
- Race and Place:
The Struggle for Civil Rights in America (History, University
of Alabama) 11-13 March 2004.
in Themed Spaces (Mark Gottdiener, Scott Lucas, editors) 1 April
2004 Book CFP
Spaces and Margins (The Queen's University of Belfast) CFP: 16
August 2004. CONF: 16-17 October 2004.
Memorials: A Multidisciplinary Approach - (University of New England
in Armidale, New South Wales, Australia) 25-27 June 2004.
- Seventh International Conference
on Urban History: The European City in Comparative Perspective
(Athens) 27-30 October 2004
- Signature Urban Objects (University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA) CONF: 15-16 October 2004.
- Space and Fandom,
Special Issue of Refractory:
A Journal of Entertainment Media 31 March 2004
- Space of Reasons (University of Cape Town) 4-6 July 2004
- Spaces (English Studies Forum) CFP: no date.
- Spaces, Spatiality,
and Technology (Napier University, Scotland) CONF: 12-14 December
- Street as Method:
Online Exhibition (Streetnotes, XCP Winter 2004)
Taste of Place: The Lure of Local Foods (Monadnock) 16 October
the Modern City (Berlin, Germany) - 24 March 2004.
and Literature: Travel, Imagination and Myth (Harrogate, UK) CONF:
22-26 July 2004.
Travel and Transport: A Human Ecological Perspective on Human Mobility
(Society for Human Ecology, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico) 18-20 February, 2004
- Travel and Disability
Forum Journal CFP (Review
of Disability Studies): 15 November 2004.
- Travel Writing
and Pedagogy: Pratt’s “Effect of the Real.” (The Society for American
Travel Writing. American Literature Association Annual Conference, San Francisco) 27-30 May 2004
- Urban Sanctuary (University of Leicester) CFP: 31 July 2004. CONF: 12 November 2004.
- Urbocentrism - Design
Philosophy Papers Special Issue CFP. Abstract Deadline: 15 April 2004.
- VIBE (Video in the Built
Environment) Manchester CFP: 21 February 2005.
- Volumes: New Insights
on the Gendered Construction of Space(s) (Journal of International
Women's Studies) CFP: 15 November 2004
Literary Geographies: Space and Cultural Production to 1888 -
proposed book, 7 October 2003
- Backstage: Reverse Sides
of Tourisms (Graz, Austria) December 2003
Stadtkultur - Lebenskultur (Brandenburgische Kunstsammlungen Cottbus),19-21
and Creative Milieus (Greece) 1 October 2003
of Culture Arts & Architecture in Newcastle-Gateshead 2 -
5 July 2003
- Claiming Space: Racialization and Spatiality
in Canadian Cities (Edited volume) 29 August 2003
- Critical Tools: An International
Colloquium on Architecture and the City (Brussels, Belgium) -
4-5 April 2003
Places - Special Issue of Crossings, submissions due 15 November 2003.
- Empty Spaces - (Claremont Graduate School) 20-22 February 2003
Space and Place (Canadian Ethnic Studies Association) 2-5 October
- Focussing Conference:
Making Space (Pforzheim, Germany) 30 April - 04 May 2003
- Form +
Function: The Hospital (School of Architecture, McGill University,
Montréal) 19-21 June, 2003
- Horticultural Geographies (University of Nottingham) 17-18 September 2003
and Space: Crossing the Boundaries Conference (SUNY Binghamton)
2-3 May 2003
- Indigenous Geographies (Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography Special Issue) 31 October 2003 or until
the volume is filled.
- The Image of the City in Literature,
Media, and Society (Society for the Interdisciplinary Study of
Social Imagery Conference) 13-15 March, 2003.
Space? Re-Examining Jewish Spatial Narratives Book CFP. Deadline
10 March 2003.
Back, Going Forward: 20th Century Attitudes towards Religious Buildings
(London) 26-27 June, 2003.
Angeles and the Future of Urban Cultures (American Quarterly Conference,
USC) 14-15 November 2003
Place, and Space (Southern Humanities Council Conference) 6-9
Ground: Class, Family and Suburban Space in 19th Century America
6-7 February 2003
Memory, Modernism (Boulder Colorado) 15 July 2003
of Space: Inner and Outer (Mystics and Scientists Conference,
Winchester UK) 11 -12 April 2003
- Parting, Crossing, Returning (University of British Columbia Arts Graduate Student Conference) 12-14 March 2003
& 21st Century Health Care Research: Concepts, Methods, and Findings
11-13 June 2003, University of Toronto
Space and Ubiquitous Technologies: The New Nomadic Experience
28-29 October 2003, San Francisco
- The Politics
of Place and Globalization (American History Association Conference)
31 July - 3 August 2003 .
- The Promise of Place Conference (Jackson, NH) CONF: 22-23 November 2003.
- Presence 2003: The 6th
Annual International Workshop on Presence (University of Aalberg,
Denmark) 6-8 October 2003
Exploring the Physical and Psychological Landscape of the City
(New York) 8-11 May 2003
- Race and
Place in the Americas 7-9 March 2003
- Rebirth of the
Town Center and Town Square (Carmel California, International
Making Cities Livable) 19-24 October 2003
Space 5th Annual Conference 9 April 2003
Gaps, Borders (Bulgarian Society for British Studies) 24-26 October
- Spaces of Identity (University of Indiana) 29 March 2003.
Theory and History Panel CFP at Social Science History Association
Conference. 1 March 2003.
- Spectacle and performance: The transformation of public space in Fascist Italy 1922-1945 (Henry Moore Institute) 20 June 2003
- Strangers in a Strange Land:
Diaspora, Travel, Migration, Exile 7-9 March 2003
- Territory and the City: "The
Metropolis: Present and Future" 2 June - 11 July 2003 Virtual
- Topographies (Philosophy and Geography Annual Conference) 25 - 27 April 2003, Towson University
- Tourism and Photography: Still
Lives, Changing Vision 20-23 June 2003
- Translocal Flows: Cities,
Inequality, and Subjectivity in the Americas May 2003 Guadalajara,
and Place in Literature (Langston
Hughes Review) 1 December 2003
- Utzon: Nature, Vision and Place (Denmark) August 2003
- The Wild
Side of Place: Wildlife of the Monadnock Region. Monadnock Institute
of Nature Place and Culture Annual Conference, 4 October 2003.
- World Conference of Historical
Cities (Montreal) - 6-8 October 2003.
- The American
West(s) in Film, Television, and History (Film
and History) 7-10 November 2002
- Citizenship and Globalisation 5-8 December
of Space Across Disciplines. Global Transformations Seminar, 5
- Constructing Place:
A conference analysing the processes, the histories, and the impacts of place making
April 2002. With a conference
report by Sarah Menin.
- Deep Presence:
Abenaki History and Influence. Monadnock Institute of Nature Place
and Culture Annual Conference, October 2002.
Geographies Lancaster University, 23-25 September 2002.
Landscapes - Heritage Places? Online Conference, 6-7 November,
- Playing The Wild Card:
Un/Disciplined Thoughts on Wild(er)ness. Centre for Interdisciplinary
Research in the Liberal Arts (CIRLA), May 2002, Banff, Alberta, Canada.
- Putting Music In
Its Place 15 October 2002
2001 & prior
of Place. Monadnock Institute of Nature Place and Culture Annual
Conference, October 1999.
of Ancient Space (Nashville) November 2000
a Sustainable Future. Monadnock Institute of Nature Place and
Culture Annual Conference, October 2000.
A Sense of Place September 2000
- Inside Density (Brussels, Belgium) 1999
of Place in New England. Monadnock Institute of Nature Place and
Culture Annual Conference, October 1998.
- Making Spaces: Travels, Tourism, Geographies, and the Construction of Place in the Americas (University of New Hampshire) CONF: 27-29 April 2001.
and Theory in the Study of Ancient Space
Stories: Place and People. Monadnock Institute of Nature Place
and Culture Annual Conference, October 2001.
- The Performance of Place (University of Birmingham) 26-27 May 2001.
- Place, Locality,
and Globalization 28 October 2000
- Points of Contact:
Performance, Places, and Pasts September 1998.
- Safe Places, Risky Places (Women's Studies,
Valdosta, Georgia) CONF: 1-3 March, 2001.
- A Sense
of Space South African Society for General Literary Studies. 2-5
and Temporality in Fin-de-Siècle Culture 22 September 2000
- Spatial Cultures Conference The University of Newcastle, Australia. 2-3 June 2001
and Meaning in Human Settlements 2000
- Tourism Revisited (Brussels, Belgium) 2001
Other Calls for Papers
Great Plains Regional Overview
Exploring the Physical and Psychological Landscape of the City